x
Super Seller

Artwork Inkjet printer recommendations

Hello makers! I think I may need to purchase a new inkjet printer soon so I'm looking for any recommendations. I have an 11 year old (yeah, didn't realize it was that old LOL) Canon Pixma that's been wonderful for me. It's telling me the ink absorber is getting full, and I've searched high and low for a fix, but I think this is planned obsolescence to make me buy a new one. 

The current printer is a multi function with a scanner attached, and while that feature is nice is not a must. I don't need archival quality prints, and I was surprised how nicely my artwork printed with this Pixma. I've always been a Canon fan, but have also used Epson printers. It also doesn't need to print beyond 8.5 x 11 so I don't need a massive pro printer. I've noticed Canon has some "crafting" printers but not sure about those. I mostly print letter sized artwork on matte photo paper for my projects. Since it's been 11 years since I've had to shop around, I'm turning here first for some help. Thanks all in advance!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Hi HC_Charlie, my name is Ken and I am a graphic artist and professional printer.  Either companies Canon or Epson are viable home printers.  If you dont need super high resolution color accurate finals, you may consider a four color inkjet over a six color.  However you slice it though, home printing is always more expensive and lower quality than commercial.  If you have a little patience and can wait a few days for your prints, service bureaus always have high end repro equipment and will deliver the best quality at the lowest price.  Aside from the expense of ink for home printers, the final print is also not colorfast and will run if it comes into contact with moisture.  If you print for crafts as i do, you might want to consider a lazerjet which is actually melted plastic not ink and will not run when in contact with moisture.

best,

Ken (buttonpusher)

Message 2 of 4
Super Seller

thanks for the reply @Buttonpusher , I'd love to use a color laser, and maybe the quality has improved since I last checked into it, but I found the image quality wasn't as good as with some inkjets. I'm leaning toward an Epson EcoTank using pigment inks; I've read they are less prone to water but I know what you mean about that...one drop and it smears big time! I usually frame or seal all of my art I print, so that's less of an issue for me.

I have been looking into sending some files out to online printers so I can have them offset print. I haven't done that yet because I wasn't get high quantity orders yet but that may change soon. I just need to go through some paper samples from them and decide what I want to have them printed on. In the long run this may be the best route to take for my final artwork that I'll need a lot of...but still need a printer at home as I working on final designs first. Thanks again for your input.

Message 3 of 4

With you 100%.  Always difficult assessing someones understanding of graphic reproduction, but you know exactly what youโ€™re talking about.  I think your plan is dead on and you might consider different reproduction methods for different products. You are so right about the quality of lazer to jetโ€ฆ and equally your concerns about offset quality are accurateโ€ฆ the sacrifices one must make for volume repro can be painful for us creatives.  Reducing the 256 million colors you created the piece with must now be reduced to 16000 for offsetโ€ฆ. Ouch.  But keep me posted if you like.  Iโ€™d be interested in your results if youโ€™d like to share.

best,

Ken

Message 4 of 4