x

I just was accepted into Amazon Handmade, any thoughts?

Hi Again Everybody!  I just got word that my application to Amazon Handmade was accepted.  Is anybody else selling in that world?  I just learned about it while doing some early Prime Day shopping.  Their application process was pretty involved and I had to submit a follow-up to my original application so it took about 6 days.  I am in the middle of getting my store set up and learning about the system, which should take all weekend.  🙂  My website is in good shape, I guess I need another challenge!  LOL

Jackie  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

I have friends who like it but the fees are a killer!

I was accepted when they first opened it up with free listings, but I didn't like the high selling fees so I did nothing with it. good luck with your shop!

Message 2 of 9
Beta Member

Hello, and welcome to Amazon handmade

We have sold our original handmade designs on amazon since 2003 and migrated to handmade a few years ago.

It is basically a venue and like every venue, it has rules.  Familiarize yourself with Amazon policies by reading the seller university and help pages and using the forums first for any questions.  Watch your margins and profit level.. Amazon fees are similar to Etsy if you use offsite ads and ebay..  FBA is not for us, although we had great sales when we used it.  Our issue was tying up that much inventory as our work is labor-intensive.. 

the handmade template is really straightforward and easy to use..

We don't sell a lot compared to many vendors.. it really depends on what you are selling..

We make sure to allow enough allow 3 - 15 days of production time (depending upon the item - our boxes take a lot of time) and make most things to order.  

The amazon customer is mostly educated and busy, and does not like to be bothered much (unlike the etsy customer)  so describe, put in great photos, and you will be fine.

Welcome

martha

Message 3 of 9

Martha, thanks for the encouragement!  The photos were the hardest thing to get down.  At first when I tried the app photo studio, it didn't work, so I was trying to learn my camera's white balance settings, lighting, etc.  I spent a week getting nowhere...and almost gave up.  BUT, once I had a made a light box using all my craft show lights I was finally able to use the app photo studio and it worked 95% of the time.  The rest were pics of the lighter colored soaps that were blurry on the app...but I was able to use GIMP and my camera to get the backgrounds to an acceptable level.  Now that all my soaps are up in a few categories, I am wondering if it would be beneficial to post them all individually.  I will turn to the forum there if you don't have any suggestions.  Thanks again!

Jackie

Message 4 of 9
Beta Member

i rely on my scanner - microtek 6000 for my relatively flat items.. for many years.. it is a good scanner.. i also use it for ephemera and stamps.

I use adobe photoshop for editing - sizing, etc  I have not tried the square photo editor.. but we subscribe to adobe for around 30/month and am used to that

my daughter uses gimp in her studio and they clean up quite well.

here is a listing with a scanned image and a photographic image.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MXQBVWF/ref=olp-opf-redir?aod=1&seller=AJWZIPKOI5DTD&ref=myi_listid_off...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=designs+by+baerreis&crid=15YA11BTBC67S&sprefix=designs+by+baerreis%2Caps%...

this is a hair fork that was simply scanned:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NP45FMT

I mix it up..  my scanner is my baby..  and I do a lot with it.. 

this is my web site.. I am not a real fan of weebly, but it is probably because i am not super skilled at it.. it is expensive, and we have been profitable on it, but not like our earlier sites.. probably i am the problem, that is why i am staying with it.  https://www.baerreis.com/  

Message 5 of 9

Hi,

I have a great craft and market business.  Square has been a great choice for all of my retail and webstore needs. 

I launched on Amazon HM on 6-1.  It is a lot of research trial and error.  I just shipped 165 units this week to move into Amazon fulfillment which will move us into a new category, which I am hoping will propel my sales.  I will keep you posted.

ABLH
Message 6 of 9
Beta Member

we have made a living doing original one of a kind and repeat designs for over 50 years..

we did not find FBA to be best for our work..  I am finishing up 3 orders tonight - a total of 5 pieces..  each one takes a lot of time -and is made to order.

I did invest inventory in FBA but the time it saved was not worth tying up that much inventory.  

We have been with square for over 10 years and have had a website since 1996.

We do NOT have employees and our items are made from raw material.  we don't do production work

Message 7 of 9

Good luck with this.  I don't think FBA will be a good fit for me...so I am not considering it.  I think my bestseller will be a customer customized assortment of soaps and I don't want to make those kind of inventory commitments at this point in my career.  If I was 35 again, probably.  But now I just don't want to work that hard. 

Message 8 of 9

BTW, here is a link to the store on Amazon.

www.amazon.com/s?me=A8EBUZHC4QMNN&ref=sf_seller_app_share_new

Jackie

Message 9 of 9