x
Admin

Share your creative work space!

Hey artists, crafters, and makers! 👋
Do you have a studio or dedicated space in your home for your work? Do you rent space at a facility? Or do you just tend to work wherever you can? We'd love to see pictures of your workspace if you don't mind sharing!
Full disclosure: I do not have a dedicated creative space in my home, but half of my dining room has gradually become a de facto art/craft studio. It's way too messy to share pictures, though! 🙈

Elisabeth (she/they)
Join a Group to connect with other business owners like you!
Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

DSC_0626.jpgIMG_4435.JPGF18BCC80-A7AC-4682-867D-14005FF0A451.JPG

Message 2 of 37

C8C5ECD2-63D0-48A4-9534-55218BE5949F.jpeg

Message 3 of 37
Super Seller

0C63D124-5EC5-4640-A47E-7C6AF168F296.jpeg651136AB-4FC5-4BAA-85D0-7861CFE92567.jpeg3E08AEA1-93A9-4C98-B86D-964396C6140F.jpeg5F9B9E4D-EA8B-48FD-B718-43AE6C8DF0E7.jpeg

Message 4 of 37
Super Seller

Thats the customer side - this is my work area the other sideB0F15A0A-84A4-474F-A01D-1CE4A4678FB8.jpeg

Message 5 of 37

I make jewelry so I have a work space in our basement, which is where we run our online business - we have storage, display space, an area to do our Facebook live shows, and my area. Our website has three videos of some of our display space. (seasidestones.com)

Cheers, Theresa
Message 6 of 37
Beta Member

We purchased our first home about 6 months ago and it allowed me to create what I call my Sewing Office Mancave, also known as the Geek In Stitches HQ  🙂

I am forever organizing and reorganizing. 

I have a terrific room with a wooded view for my computer (28 years in IT), sewing machine, fabric cutting table, cricut, color inkjet for stickers, fabric storage, ironing board, TV and my 20 year old plants.

After coming out an apartment, it is the best thing ever!IMG_3397.jpg

Geek In Stitches, Beta Member
Square Shop
Social Media Hub
Message 7 of 37
Admin

@GeekInStitches I love your workspace - it looks so efficient! I have the same habit of continually wanting to organize/re-organize my workspace, but I haven't done as well as you have, lol. Love the TARDIS wall hanging, too! 😍

Elisabeth (she/they)
Message 8 of 37
Beta Member

lol - I did a thorough cleaning before that photo.   Fabric storage is on opposite wall and is a mess 🙂

i do love showing off my Tardis!   It's actually acrylic painted canvases that were cut and reassembled like a quilt. It's There is no fabric in the piece at all.

If you're interested, I wrote a blog entry a couple of years ago that goes into more details about how I made it.

https://www.geekinstitches.com/QuiltedAcrylicTardis

Square Shop
Social Media Hub
Message 9 of 37
Admin

Omg, don't even start me on fabric storage! In 20+ years of sewing, I've never come up with a good solution. 🤣
Thanks for sharing the blog post - I love the detail and in progress shots. The stitching on the backside is so satisfying to look at!

Elisabeth (she/they)
Message 10 of 37
Super Seller

When I moved into my current home, it had an old one-car garage. The home was built in 1930 so cars were built smaller back then...so if I wanted to use the garage I guess I could pull my car inside, but I'm not sure how I'd open the doors LOL. But this space was perfect to remodel into a studio. I had the old garage doors removed and French doors instead to let in some natural light.

I make stained glass, and glass/metal jewelry so i needed a workbench. I always wanted my own studio and sink, so when I had some other work done in my house, I had a plumber rough in the pipes. I did most of the finishing work myself, including finding some discount cabinetry at Lowes. I don't spend as much time as I'd like being creative here, since I started a retail store across town. Much of my day is spent there, so I have a makeshift work area there. My goal is to sometime soon transition back to creating for wholesale accounts instead of also running the retail side of my business. I also have a front counter where I can work with clients on designing windows and smaller projects and help them choose glass. I still often spread out projects in the dining room or in front of the TV LOL, depending on where my dog wants me to be!

Note to other makers out there: if you have a dedicated space in your home that you only use for your business, you may be able to deduct a percentage of your utility expenses on your yearly taxes. Improvements and maintenance could also be deducted, but consult your tax professional for more advice.

IMG_2914.jpg

studio IMG_2881_small.jpg

Working in Studio2.JPGIMG_2894.jpg

IMG_2896.jpg

Message 11 of 37
Admin

@HC_Charlie Love this - the space looks so inviting and calming! That is a great tip about potential tax deductions, too!

Elisabeth (she/they)
Message 12 of 37

I think it looks great and what a terrific use of space.  

Message 13 of 37

This is my workspace for now I'll get a really nice space.

IMG_20220802_090744.jpg

Message 14 of 37
Admin

@Kelzblogs lol, I am in the same boat with using any space that's available! Whatever works, right? 😂

Elisabeth (she/they)
Message 15 of 37

Exactly but one day I like to have so much better because my husband keeps complaining that he's tired of finding beads all over the living room 😆 cuz I hand make jewelry. 

Message 16 of 37
Beta Member

After coming out of apartment life about 6 months ago, I understand this completely.   You use what you have!  I had everything in my bedroom from my computer, sewing machine, fabric storage drawers. Everything.

Square Shop
Social Media Hub
Message 17 of 37

Right now my work space looks like it exploded. My husband built it for me in our basement. He wanted to sheet rock the ceiling too, but I explained it would make me want to decorate it like the rest of the house, and I needed a space where I can just hop from one project to the next.  Working on many projects, trying to mat prints, plan out my next painting and trying to set up a way to keep all my records straight for the square store I recently opened. I'm retired, not good with the computer, trying to figure out how to make all this work. I guess the mess in my space matches the mess going on inside my head.

Message 18 of 37

Message 19 of 37

I just started my business in hand burned pyrography just over 4 months ago and haven't quiet created a designated work space yet for when I burn. Right now it is between my basement where I do the burning and the office where I have all my finished work stored, and invoices filed. Eventually I would like to have a work space with shelving to display the pieces incase local customers want to come by and see what is available especially during tourist season. Once I start selling more regularly and more demand it would be nice to have a small shop in our uptown as seasonal for tourism. Sorry I don't have a picture of my work space to show everyone.

Jamie
Message 20 of 37

With three kids, a husband, and a dog to navigate—I create where I can. Which often means I’m stepping over toys, using the dining room table when I need more space, attempting to sew with a four year old on my lap, baby wearing while cutting out patterns, and giving sewing lessons to my oldest while ironing fabric. 

My dad built me the blue cabinet this last summer. We took the top off a sewing table that was falling apart and reused the base of his old kitchen island that he built years before. I just wanted the top mounted on the base—but he got fancy with enclosing the space, adding doors, and painting it blue. I love it! 

One day I will have an art studio, but for now, the living room works. 

52D32587-15EB-4643-A426-8164FAE19A79.jpeg

Message 21 of 37