x

Appointments Feature Request: Disable tipping on items - calculate tip based on cost of service(s)

Appointments Feature Request: Disable tipping on items - calculate tip based on cost of service(s)

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Tips should only be calculated on the service part of a sale, not retail

We are a service based business. We provide a service and our customers tip us on that service. But we also sell retail (skincare, lifestyle) items that customers should not tip on.

When our customer comes in for a 90min facial and during check out decides to buy some recommended products also their balance can jump form $130 to $280 very easily. So we now have a $280 balance with services and products, the customer swipes their card and the tip screen suggests a few % options..

Scenario 1, Wrong - 20% tip on total sale

$280 + 20% ($56) gratuity = $336

Scenario 2, Correct - 20% tip on Service only

$130 service + 20% ($26) service gratuity = $156 + $150 retail = $306

Unless we ring an extra transaction to separate retail from service sales, our customer gets ripped off. We make more money, Square makes more money but our customer got ripped off by $30 in Scenario 1.

The solution we previously offered to Square was to let items be "tip(able)" the same way items are currently "tax(able)"

Any thoughts from the Square team?

88 Comments
Alumni

Hi @theturqfeather - this isn't currently possible, but I've moved your post to a thread where others have also requested this ability. We'll be sure to post an update here if anything changes, so stay subscribed to this thread if you'd like to be notified of new posts.

I agree!  I have been asking for this feature for a while now. It is really uncomfortable to explain to the client who is adding a tip that she can’t add a percentage because the total includes her products. And then I have to calculate her service total with out the products and then give her that total and she now has to figure out the tip in her head and add it by hitting the custom button. It really takes away from the seamless experience that it is supposed to be. 

I’m new to Square. I’ve been using it for a month now at my hair salon. I am realizing the tip calculation is for the whole ticket including products and I’m frankly appalled that there isn’t a way to calculate tip only on services rather than including retail items. NO ONE tips on product sales! Square markets to hairstylists. This is a huge problem. When I spoke with someone he said I have to do two transactions! And get charged for two swipes?! Bogus!! Help!!

Square Community Moderator

Hello @EllisAnna.

I can see how removing tips from your retail items is helpful at check out, especially if you are processing services under the same transaction. While this seems like something we would have thought of, at the moment, this is a feature request. A separate transaction is required to calculate tips on services only.

We appreciate your feedback and will be happy to make our products team aware of your request. Should any updates arise, we will update you here. 

Square users in the personal services industry have talked about this for years! What is the problem with changing this? You market to so many service industry businesses. Please, please evolve your app like so many others are doing.

This feature REALLY needs to be reviewed for small business owners who sell merchandise/products for services they have provided!  It's very embarrassing to have to tell our client "do a custom tip" or refund them a portion of the tip after the fact.  Sorry, but it's evident the programmers are not putting themselves in the service industry setting and asking the right questions when this option was developed.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give this some priority.  

Ugh.  Came here looking for an answer on this issue and see businesses have been having the same issue for years!  I suspect it isn't being fixed because Square makes more money leaving it as is.   We are also a service based business that does some retail.  

Tips should only be calculated on the service part of a sale, not retail. What have you done about it?

Alumni

@ Mlh1,

Our teams are constantly looking through our seller's feedback to make necessary improvements, and we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. Please rest assured your comments and experiences are seen and documented. 

chiming in. Was hoping to come here and find an answer. Instead looks like we're going on year 4 of people requesting this of square and getting no answers. This is certainly a deal breaker. Please get answers asap or you will lose another customer.