x
Super Seller

Beauty Business Talk: When was the last time you gave yourself a raise?

money-talk.jpg

It's the dirty dirty that no one likes talking about: When did you last implement a price increase for your services? 

Retailers can raise their prices without alerting their patrons. We all know housing and gas prices increase ALL the time, and no one bats an eye. 

So what makes beauty professionals any different? 

Did you know October/November is actually one of the BEST times to raise your prices? 

When was the last time you gave yourself a raise? How did your clients react? 

Jess
Hair Designer | Certified Trichologist

Visit My Website - JP Style & Solutions
Check out the magic on Instagram - @JESS.POYNTER
Make an impact on Facebook - @JPSTYLESOLUTIONS
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Good morning,

my name is Carolina Garcia and I am a licensed Manicurist. The first time I raised my prices was last year in December. The most recent time I raised my prices was just this October. I got nothing but positive reinforcement from my regulars. I recently had a baby and was simply straight up with my clients when I gave them the heads up; I have diapers to buy, a booth rent that had to be paid even while on leave, and I cannot yet come back to work full time. I am thankful for my clients. They were supportive, understanding, and encouraging. 

I hope everyone's clients are as supportive as mine have been.

Message 2 of 34
Super Seller

Wow! That's fantastic! 

Jess

Message 3 of 34

Yearly price increase,  at the least,  never without warning though.   I let every client know when the price will be going up. To give them the opportunity to stay or go elsewhere.   Surprise cost increases are no bueno.  I have yet to have a client leave due to price.   Be worth it.  

Message 4 of 34
Super Seller

That's great! Great practice to give the client time to decide. I do find it interesting though that we as service providers "need" to do that. 

Jess

Message 5 of 34

I am not in the beauty field, but am a service provider. I raised my prices by $5 in January and gave my clients four months notice with a letter sent out September 1. I'm doing the same this year. One helpful tool is an inflation calculator, so you can see if you're at least keeping up with it over time. I hadn't raised my prices until a few years ago since I first started my business, which set me up to be earning less over time, inflation-wise. 

Message 6 of 34
Super Seller

Oh my gosh! Four months! Wow! What services do you provide? 
What have you noticed with the inflation calendar? I read long ago the average rate of inflation is 3%. Do you still find that to be true? 

Jess

Message 7 of 34
Super Seller

Just recently...I increased the price on 90% of my service menu. I added a gift card promotional offer at the same time, some clients opted to purchase the gift card and some did not. 

No one, said anything about the price increase.  I'm deliberate in my approach to service and perhaps that's why.  As a solo salon owner, I still feel a bit stretched so I want to hire an **bleep**istant. Therefore, I had to increase my prices to maintain a decent cost of living and with the increases in supplies oh my goodness.

-Alicia

Alicia | PEINT
@getpeinted
Message 8 of 34

@rjonin wrote:

Just recently...I increased the price on 90% of my service menu. I added a gift card promotional offer at the same time, some clients opted to purchase the gift card and some did not and for grading click here

No one, said anything about the price increase.  I'm deliberate in my approach to service and perhaps that's why.  As a solo salon owner, I still feel a bit stretched so I want to hire an **bleep**istant. Therefore, I had to increase my prices to maintain a decent cost of living and with the increases in supplies oh my goodness.

-Alicia

Agreed with you.

Message 9 of 34
Super Seller

When you hire an assistant, will you raise again?

Jess

Message 10 of 34
Super Seller Alumni

HAHAHA - never! I don't even pay myself yet. #smallbusinessproblems 🤣

Emily ( she / her )
The Violet Fox Bookshop
https://thevioletfoxbookshop.square.site
Message 11 of 34

Never, but soon?

Message 12 of 34

I definitely feel you on this, i'm on the same boat lol, but we gonna stay positive OK, we just got to keep going, we got this.💪🏽

Message 13 of 34
Super Seller

Oh my goodness!! 
Make paying yourself a goal for 2022!!

Jess

Message 14 of 34
Beta Member

Everything is up. Now is the time, cost of living is all the way up and its unacceptable that someone would have to work more than one occupation to stay afloat

Message 15 of 34

Never. It's hard to raise your prices successfully when you only started your business 2 months ago...

Message 16 of 34

RAISE?!? When is the last time I paid myself...

Message 17 of 34

My name is Joanne. Im a beauty Influencer with Farmasi. Anyone here looking to buy affordable products?  Great gift ideas.  

www.farmasius.com/beautifulhi 

Anyone here looking for employment opportunities? Only $20 to start.  Buy products 50% OFF retail price and make 50% in commission.   Excellent opportunity here.  I've been full time self employed for 2 years now and its been an amazing journey.  Im growing everyday.  Join my team!

Register with me 

Message 18 of 34

I have my own spa here in ny and would like to try out some samples I don’t have anything that I don’t stand behind myself so if u have some I’ll try it , I would like to carry your products in my spa 😀

Message 19 of 34
Beta Member

Right after I moved into a suite this past August. My business expenses had increased and also I am booked solid for 2-4 weeks out at a time. 

Message 20 of 34
Beta Member

I have not been able to give myself a raise but I’m working towards it.

Message 21 of 34