x
Super Seller

Help Choosing Between Square POS app or the Appointments App

I have a small skin care studio.  There are three of us that offer facials and lash services.  During the shutdown, we became a lifestyle boutique since esthetic services were illegal in California for the year.  During that time I switched to Square POS to help with inventory management.  Next week we open back up for facials!

So right now I have two devices going at our front desk.  An iPad that runs the Appointments app and Square Register to run the POS app.  It is a pain to switch between the two.  POS doesn’t allow for making appointments or to check out services.  Appointments doesn’t allow for PO creation or inventory tracking.

Has any service providers, that also sell retail, used JUST the appointments app? How does that work out for you tracking COG and inventory management? 

Can I just use appointments at the desk but have POS running in the background to keep track of inventory?  We have around 3000 SKUs so a spreadsheet is just not an option at this point.

I would love to hear what other spas with full retail boutiques do?

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Alumni

Hi @Doran. Yes you're on target - Most Sellers uses Appointments in their front of house. Inventory using Retail will still be tracked in the background while using the Appointments App. 

Since, most Square for Retail actions don't necessary have to be done at the front desk of your studio, Sellers use Dashboard for backend stuff - like creating POs, managing inventory or accessing reports. 

I hope this helps! 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

it is weird that they are not integrated... and good for you for catching it.. because I didn't. And it's been a head scratcher,

Message 3 of 4
Beta Member

Hi Doran,

I own a barbershop and have a large retail selection. I only use appointments- so I’m confused by your post.  I have all my products listed and will check clients out direct from the app on our iPad. If they purchase only product without services, we can just use the checkout option. I am able to keep track of my inventory numbers - although I believe it’s an upgrade  if I want to store cost of goods. That’s the one thing about square that sucks- every little feature has an added cost and there are way too many different apps.

Independence Barber Co.
Austin, Texas
Independencebarber.com
Message 4 of 4