x

How do I change the default at check-out within my Square Online site to Canada?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: How do I change the default at check-out to Canada? Customers are getting confused with zip code]

Hi! Looking for help please with our online store. At check-out, the default is set for USA so it requests a zip code, same with a US phone number. Is there a way to change this in the settings?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 28
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: State / Country field order on customer checkout screen.

Hi @voteforpedroca this is a feature request we're tracking in this thread: How do I change the default at check-out within my Square Online site to Canada? 

The Square Online team is working on this but I can't share a timeline for when it will be available.

As soon as we have news to share wee'll update this thread to notify everyone. To follow along, sign in and subscribe to the thread and reply below. (As soon as you sign in you'll see Subscribe appear in top right of your screen.)

Thanks for joining the Seller Community. I hope you're keeping well too!

1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

@amartin,

Thank you for being patient. After doing a bit of research, this is currently a feature request and is not a setting that can be toggled on or off at the moment. Our teams are constantly looking through our seller's feedback to make necessary improvements, and we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. 

One quick thing to note, online ordering will should work and accept international customers including Canada/US. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions by replying to this thread. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Alumni

Hello @amartin,

Welcome to the Seller Community. 

Happy to assist with this. To begin, what website builder is hosting your website? Weebly, Godaddy, Wix etc.?

I'll keep an eye out for your reply in this thread. Thank you.

Alex_
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 28

Thanks! I use Weebly. 

Message 3 of 28
Alumni

Best Answer

@amartin,

Thank you for being patient. After doing a bit of research, this is currently a feature request and is not a setting that can be toggled on or off at the moment. Our teams are constantly looking through our seller's feedback to make necessary improvements, and we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. 

One quick thing to note, online ordering will should work and accept international customers including Canada/US. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions by replying to this thread. 

Alex_
Message 4 of 28

We have started an online store using the square and weebly website application but all the defaults are to the US, not Canada.  We only sell in Ontario and therefore all of our customers must change their phone number, address info etc manually to Canada.  Is there a way to default all of this to Canada?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 28
Alumni

Hi @HighParkBrewery,

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

This sounds quite frustrating. Is this happening with all of your customers, and do you only ever serve customers within your borders that have information linked to Canada (US tourists maybe)? Also, have you ever had a Square Account in the past linked to the US?

I'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

Alex_
Message 6 of 28

Thanks for your reply Alex.

It is frustrating and we are getting a lot of comments.  All of our customers are Canadian and have to change the default country to Canada in order to get the phone number and address to work properly.  We have never had a US account.  Cheers Ted

Message 7 of 28

We are also experiencing this problem. Our customers are only in Canada and we have a Canadian account. Is there a way to fix this as it’s confusion for our customers and causing them difficultly upon check out. 

Message 8 of 28
Square Community Moderator

@tbg thank you so much for adding to this thread. I can see how important this issue is and how important it is to get this fixed. I will make sure to surface this to our engineering team again as this is a known issue. 

However; at this time we don't have any workarounds for this or an estimated time that this will be resolved. 

I will post as soon as I see any updates. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Message 9 of 28

Please add my voice to this request. 

Message 10 of 28

I would like to add my support to this feature request.

Message 11 of 28
Super Seller

Hi @Alex_  @amartin 

Has there been any update here? I would also like to change the default to Canada for my store. This appears to be a bit of friction for the customer. I have helped multiple customers over the phone. The less thinking they have to do the better!

Luke Nieuwland
Owner/Operator
https://www.whiskyrun.com/
Co-Founder
https://birrdi.com/
Co-Founder
https://www.lakeeffect.ca/
Message 12 of 28
Alumni

@LukeNieuw

No update at the moment, but we have seen this ask from multiple sellers so we definitely have eyes on it. 

Alex_
Message 13 of 28

Having the same issue, not sure why were not able to have this fixed. Any friction at all with a sale can result in losing out on income. This is the whole point of this platform and its deterring people.

Message 14 of 28
Square Community Moderator

We hear you, @LukeNieuw - we will continue to post updates as we have them. Until then, thank you for your patience!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Message 15 of 28

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: State / Country field order on customer checkout screen.

Hi there,

Love Square! 

Not a huge deal, just wondering if anyone outside of the US has asked about whether the customer checkout screen can be modified to put Country before State?

I'm in Canada and at checkout everyone I know picks a random state only to find that they can choose Canada later and the state field then updates to province.

Thanks and hope everyone is well and safe.

Cheers!

Message 16 of 28
Admin

Hi @voteforpedroca this is a feature request we're tracking in this thread: How do I change the default at check-out within my Square Online site to Canada? 

The Square Online team is working on this but I can't share a timeline for when it will be available.

As soon as we have news to share wee'll update this thread to notify everyone. To follow along, sign in and subscribe to the thread and reply below. (As soon as you sign in you'll see Subscribe appear in top right of your screen.)

Thanks for joining the Seller Community. I hope you're keeping well too!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 17 of 28
Super Seller

This would really help a lot with abandoned carts. Even if the Country Selection was moved higher would make a big difference but ultimately defaulting to Canada would be the best.

Thanks!

Luke Nieuwland
Owner/Operator
https://www.whiskyrun.com/
Co-Founder
https://birrdi.com/
Co-Founder
https://www.lakeeffect.ca/
Message 18 of 28

I'd love to hear about this as well! Thanks for looking into this!

Message 19 of 28
Beta Member

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Zip/postal code denied on occasion?]

This hopefully is not too hard to fix and has been going on for a while but only happens to 1-100 customers or less and those we just sell to by etransfer so it's not too bad. I decided to finally look into it though as it is more annoying now that it's busy. It is simple to explain, although I am in Canada square still asks for zip code on the store form. 99% of them it accepts it no problem but some of them it will not take the postal code no matter what they try for format. So is there a way to fix this and is there a way to make it say postal code and not zip code? Thanks! 

Message 20 of 28
Alumni

Hi @MattHebb1995,

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. 

Sorry to hear this has been your experience. We're aware of this issue which we're tracking in this thread. We'll post here to let you know if the checkout flow can be customized for customers in Canada. 

Thanks for your patience (and your customers' patience too) in the meantime. Please let me know if you have any other questions by replying to this thread. 

Alex_
Message 21 of 28