x
Admin

Share Your Feedback: What type of business number do you have?

We’re looking forward to releasing some new products for our sellers in Canada and have a few questions for you all about your businesses. In some of our new products, we may need to request a business number, which you may receive when you register your business with your federal or local government agency. 

1. Have you registered your business with a federal or local/provincial government agency? And did you receive a business number after registering with that agency?
  2. If you received a business number, please let us know which agency issued your business number.
  3. What is the number you received referred to? (E.g. Company ID, Registry ID, etc.)
  4. Do you know what this number is, and would you have this readily available?
  5. If you are a sole proprietor or part of a partnership, do you have a business number even though it is not required?

Thank you for your help! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Admin

@LukeNieuw @Michael_L We'd love to get your input too, if you have time to answer these questions! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 33
Super Seller

1. Have you registered your business with a federal or local/provincial government agency? And did you receive a business number after registering? 
    Yes, I am in Ontario and we received our 9 digit Business # and our 15 Digit/Character Account # (The business # is included in the 15)
  2. What is the number you received referred to? (E.g. Company ID, Registry ID, etc.
    Referred to as a Business Number
  3. Do you know what this number is, and would you have this readily available?
    Yes it is readily available.
  4. If you are a sole proprietor or part of a partnership, do you have a business number even though it is not required?
    We are incorporated so I can't comment on this.
Luke Nieuwland
Owner/Operator
https://www.whiskyrun.com/
Co-Founder
https://birrdi.com/
Co-Founder
https://www.lakeeffect.ca/
Message 3 of 33
Admin

Thank you @LukeNieuw, I appreciate it! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 33
Admin

Thanks so much @LukeNieuw! Would mind sharing which agency issued your business number? Was it the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)?

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 5 of 33
Super Seller

Yes that is correct. 

Luke Nieuwland
Owner/Operator
https://www.whiskyrun.com/
Co-Founder
https://birrdi.com/
Co-Founder
https://www.lakeeffect.ca/
Message 6 of 33
Admin

Thank you for confirming! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 7 of 33
Super Seller

1. Have you registered your business with a federal or local/provincial government agency? And did you receive a business number after registering? 
    Sort of. I am in Direct Sales so I have a Provincial License and Local Business License. I have an ID# through the company I am signed up with.
  2. What is the number you received referred to? (E.g. Company ID, Registry ID, etc.
    I honestly don't recall if anything has a # aside from my company ID. 
  3. Do you know what this number is, and would you have this readily available?
    I do know the company ID#, I could find my other reports to see if something is included.
  4. If you are a sole proprietor or part of a partnership, do you have a business number even though it is not required? 
    No
Sammy Grace

Please Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 33
Admin

Thank you very much @SammyGrace2414!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 9 of 33
Super Seller

I have an Ontario business name registration not really a number tho and a federal harmonized sales tax (HST) registration number 

Message 10 of 33
Beta Member

1. Yes, and the # was immediately obtained online. 

2. Provincial

3. Master Business License

4. Yes and yes

5. Yes

Message 11 of 33

Helen,

1. & 2. I have a federal & provincial business numbers

3. I have a Business number (federal), which is similar ti my GST number (federal tax) and a PST number (provincial sales tax). Some accommodation providers may also pay a hotel tax under this number (different values).

4. Yes I have to know these numbers

5. Our business is a partnership and we must have these numbers to remit tax as we meet the minimum sales threshold.

Cheers,

Carolyn

Message 12 of 33
Beta Member

Hi Helen,

We do have a business number that was requested by our lawyer when we incorporated the business back in December 2016. Our Business Number is registered with our federal and provincial governments.

I believe our Business Number was issued by the Canada Revenue Agency.

It is referred to as a Business Number.

Yes, I do have our Business Number readily available.

As mentioned above we are incorporated.

Our Business Number has been entered under our profile in Square.

If you need anything further, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Kevin

Message 13 of 33
Beta Member

Hi! I’m sole proprietor but yes, I still have a business number registered with my local government.  I always have my number readily available. It is referred to as a business number!

very interested in these new products! I would love to test them out!! 

Message 14 of 33
Beta Member

No. As my sales are well below the threshold for GST I opted to not get a business number. I'm just a small time crafter/artisan. A hobby right now where my sales barely, if at all, pay for my supplies.

Message 15 of 33
Beta Member

Yes we are registered for HST and  we have a Business Number for use with the Canada Revenue Agency

Yes, we use it all the time, it is available. 

Message 16 of 33
Beta Member

Hi, my business is registered with a federal and provincial license. The federal license was issued by CRA and is referred to as the business number. The provincial was issued by the registry of joint stocks and is the registry id. I have both of these numbers available. The business is a sole proprietorship. 

When BTC?

Message 17 of 33
Beta Member

Hello:  below is my response to your questions:

1. I have registered my company and have received a business number, BN. Our company is “incorporated.”
2 and 3. The business number (BN) is a 9-digit account number that identifies your business to federal, provincial, and municipal governments. The BN is issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).  
4. Yes.  And I do have it readily available. 

5. You don’t have e BN number but if you register the business, a registration number is issued.  

hope this helps.  

Nazir 

Real Kebab

Markham, ON CA

Message 18 of 33

As far as I was informed, until you're making $20k/yr, the government doesn't want you to register your business.  I'm not quite there yet, so I haven't done it.  I submit my taxes and I have my number on my OCOT card as a qualified hairstylist.

Message 19 of 33

i have a BIN 

Keesau S.
Keys Sewing
www.keyssewing.com
Message 20 of 33

1) Yes, registered both Federally and Provincially here in Alberta

2) CRA

3) Company ID

4) Yes

5) N/A

Message 21 of 33