x
Highlighted
Admin

Square for Restaurants - What is the state of the restaurant industry?

Hi Seller Community!

This is Michelle from the Beta team. I am working with the Square for Restaurants team to help them learn more about the current state of the industry. We want to build the best possible product to be a partner to your restaurant for years to come. In order to do that we need to know about how you and your business are doing.

There are two actions we’d like you to take on this post:

1. Where are you located, what is your restaurant called, and what is the state of your business and the industry around you?
  2. Reply to other posts you see here to ask questions amongst your peers.

Feel free to share pictures, stories, questions ideas or anything you like.

Please use the reply button below to respond to items 1 and/or 2!

P.S. I know Square for Restaurants isn’t currently available in Canada, but we are working on it! Getting the early feedback from restaurateurs like yourself will help us deliver on a product that is suitable for our Canadian market.

Michelle
Beta Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Square for Restaurants - What is the state of the restaurant industry?

1. Winnipeg Manitoba

Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Admin

Hello @Dwarf! How are things in Winnipeg? Have you been able to reopen or serve customers outdoors?

Helen
Seller Community Manager, Square
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted

Hi. First time posting! I'm excited Square for Restaurants is hopefully coming to Canada soon. Our restaurant is called Hickory Street. We opened Feb 29, 2020 in a little village in Southern Alberta, Canada (Stirling). We're 20 minutes outside of Lethbridge, and everyone thought we were crazy to open a restaurant, much less in a little village. We sell Southern smoked BBQ and claim to have the best brisket this side of Texas. We opened our doors 2 weeks before the COVID shutdowns took effect here. We were able to pivot and offer delivery twice a week to Lethbridge, which really helped get our food into our target demographic's mouths, which has played really well for us now that we are able to open our doors. We have hit our Year 1 projections and we haven't even been open 4 months! Needless to say, we are beyond thrilled with our early success, and cautiously optimistic about the future.

One of our biggest struggles with Square right now is it's difficult to track our inventory properly. We sell a side dish (mac and cheese, coleslaw, etc.) with our meats and sandwiches, but with online ordering, we can't accurately input our inventory for the online store. If there was a way to create a master library we could then pull recipes from, that would be super helpful. For instance, if we could input at the beginning of the day that we have 60 racks of ribs to sell and 25 sides of coleslaw, everytime we sold a rack of ribs and a coleslaw, it would take those individual items out of the inventory. I realize there's a workaround where I could just add a menu item for the side with no charge attached, but with user error, I would hate for one of my staff to enter that one if someone orders it a la carte, rather than charging them for the side by itself.

At any rate, I'd love to help with whatever I can with the Canada testing! Look forward to learning more about how I can use Square more effectively.

Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Admin

Welcome and thanks for your post @PitMistress and for your detailed feedback about managing your inventory. It's a great help to the Restaurants team!

What a time to open a restaurant! I'm glad to hear you were able to pivot to delivery. Do you offer curbside pickup too? Are there other restaurants in your village or Lethbridge that are open? 

Helen
Seller Community Manager, Square
Message 5 of 5