x

Has contactless limit been increased to £100?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Contactless Payment Limit

I was just wandering whether the contactless limit has been increased to £100 in the UK in line with other retailers from today?  I have not seen any information come from Square regarding this.

Message 1 of 29
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Has contactless limit been increased to £100?

Hi everyone, we're glad to confirm that all Square hardware can now accept contactless payments up to £100. The rollout has been completed to 100%. 

If you experience any difficulty, please check the following: 

1. Make sure your Square Terminal is up to date. You can check this in the Support > About section. 

2. If you are using a Square Reader and you are encountering an issue, please try these troubleshooting steps. The reader will update automatically, but you can force an update by renewing the connection (disconnect the reader following the steps @tranguyen mentioned above and pairing it back again). 

1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi everyone, we're glad to confirm that all Square hardware can now accept contactless payments up to £100. The rollout has been completed to 100%. 

If you experience any difficulty, please check the following: 

1. Make sure your Square Terminal is up to date. You can check this in the Support > About section. 

2. If you are using a Square Reader and you are encountering an issue, please try these troubleshooting steps. The reader will update automatically, but you can force an update by renewing the connection (disconnect the reader following the steps @tranguyen mentioned above and pairing it back again). 

Emma
Community Manager, Square

View Best Answer >

Message 24 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Admin

Hi @TheScarletMan, thank you for sharing this.

We're aware of the contactless limit increasing in the UK. Square is working to gradually roll this out the ability for customers to make contactless card payments for up to £100 with Visa, Mastercard and American Express branded cards. This work has started from yesterday and we expected it to be fully released by the end of the month. 

Tra
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 29

Hi,

Just checking to see if this is on track to be fully released by the weekend?

Thanks

Leighla 

Message 3 of 29
Admin

Thanks for checking up on this, @LeighlaCFGC! From checking in with our team on the progress of the rollout, most sellers will receive the update by this weekend. 

Tra
Message 4 of 29
Beta Member

Is there any update on this being rolled out?

https://the-ungrateful-wench.square.site
Message 5 of 29
Admin

Thanks for checking up on this @tonydow, @Artcetera and @Stringers. The updates are still being rolled out at the moment by our team. We're expecting the update to be rolled out to all sellers shortly.

@Artcetera: if the reader is no longer accepting contactless payments even within the current limit, it's worth running through these troubleshooting steps and see if they would help. If you've tried all the steps and the issue still persist, we can look into replacing the reader

Tra
Message 6 of 29

The contactless functionality of my reader has stopped working in the last 30 minutes. The reader is otherwise functional as I can insert cards to use chip and PIN. Is this part of an update or do I need to raise a hardware fault issue?

Message 7 of 29

Any update on the roll out please. Thanks

Message 8 of 29
Beta Member

Has this been fully rolled out?

https://the-ungrateful-wench.square.site
Message 9 of 29
Admin

Hey @tonydow, thanks for following up on this!

We had expected that the rollout completed today but there has been slight delay and we are working to get the roll out to 100% shortly. The team want to make sure that we catch any potential bugs as we rollout to more sellers and that our releases do not negatively impact day to day operations.

Once I have confirmation from our engineering team that the roll out is fully completed, I'll be sure to follow up here right away. 

Tra
Message 10 of 29

Please can you send a note out to all UK reader owners not just on this FAQ.

The £100 contactless limit ability has a big impact on the speed we can help our customers. Will you send out an email to all customers on progress?

Message 11 of 29

following thread

Message 12 of 29

Please can you send a note out to all UK reader owners not just on this FAQ.

The £100 contactless limit ability has a big impact on the speed we can help our customers. Will you send out an email to all customers on progress?

Message 13 of 29
Admin

Hi everyone, I just want to follow up and let you know the roll out has been completed for Square Reader.

For the Square Terminal and Square Register, our team are continuing with the rollout at the moment. Once the rollout for the Terminal and Register is completed, I'll follow up right away. 

Tra
Message 14 of 29

Is there a target completion date for the role out to Square Terminal?

Message 15 of 29

Hello. I have a square reader and can still only accept contactless payments up to £45. Could you please let me know how to update my reader to allow the increase? Many thanks 

Message 16 of 29
Admin

Hey @Conallmcg, we're aiming to have this rolled out as quickly as we can. The team are sharing updates with me daily and I'll follow up as soon as I know that the work is completed.

Usually the reader will update automatically, but we can force an update by running through the following steps @DebFoster:

1. Forget the reader from the device's Bluetooth setting
  2. Turn the Bluetooth off and back on
  3. If you’re using an iPhone or iPad on iOS 13, make sure Bluetooth permissions for the Square app are enabled. To do so, head to Settings > Privacy > Bluetooth > enable permissions for the Square app.
  4. Turn the device off and back on
  5. Hard reset of reader -- hold button for around 20 seconds, wait for lights to turn orange, then red, then release the button when all the lights have stop flashing
  6. Go back into the Square Point of Sale app > Settings > Hardware > Card readers > Connect a reader and follow the prompt
Tra
Message 17 of 29

Will you send out more formal information on this? At present this thread seems to be the best place to find out, and otherwise we haven’t had any official notifications - I am interested in the terminal in particular.

Message 18 of 29

This rollout seems to be taking FAR longer than you would expect.

I thought that Square would have this done more quickly than other organisations, so disappointed at the timescales here.

As the vast majority of my transactions are for £50, I am obviously keen to have this sorted ASAP!

Message 19 of 29

Same here, our sales are mainly over £45 so the £100 limit would be great.

Message 20 of 29

Agreed, 

I asked Square directly last week and the response i got is shown below. Strange they couldn’t provide a timescale. 

Hi Joseph,

“… unfortunately I would not be able to tell you an exact day as to when this would be completely implemented. It is being rolled out periodically that's why it could take up a bit more time to be fully available. “

Message 21 of 29