x
Super Seller

ICO. Registration?

After some support/advice. 

I might install some CCTV so have looked into registering with the ICO as per the rules. 

Having a look through the details I’m not sure if we’re all (processors/controllers of personal information) meant to be registered or if Square as the processor of all the customer information covers this aspect. 

Any solid info on it?

Pizza Is Chill

Message 1 of 5
Report Inappropriate Content
2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Sam_400º, thanks for your message! While I don't have the information, I'm going to check with our team to see if there are any additional information or guidance we can provide in addition to this article. The ICO also has a helpline for small businesses to find out more about GDPR and also the following resources which might help:

It'd definitely be worthwhile to contact the ICO as well as they might be able to provide additional information. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 5
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Sam_400º, thanks for bearing with me! I check in with the appropriate team and they have given me some additional information. As a seller, you are the data controller of your customers' personal data. They recommend consulting a legal expert regarding your obligations under GDPR to provide guidance tailored to your specific circumstances.

Square's role as a data processor is limited to the scope provided in our Data Processing Terms. As for card compliance, this should be covered under our PCI compliance which is outlined here

Tra

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Sam_400º, thanks for your message! While I don't have the information, I'm going to check with our team to see if there are any additional information or guidance we can provide in addition to this article. The ICO also has a helpline for small businesses to find out more about GDPR and also the following resources which might help:

It'd definitely be worthwhile to contact the ICO as well as they might be able to provide additional information. 

Tra
Message 2 of 5
Super Seller

@tranguyen I'm confident that their answer will always be 'yes' to registration 😂 

But, like the card compliance I'm not sure if it's covered by Square holding/processing the details rather than us. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 3 of 5
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Sam_400º, thanks for bearing with me! I check in with the appropriate team and they have given me some additional information. As a seller, you are the data controller of your customers' personal data. They recommend consulting a legal expert regarding your obligations under GDPR to provide guidance tailored to your specific circumstances.

Square's role as a data processor is limited to the scope provided in our Data Processing Terms. As for card compliance, this should be covered under our PCI compliance which is outlined here

Tra
Message 4 of 5
Super Seller

Thanks Tra, that’s really helpful with the definitions 👍

Pizza Is Chill

Message 5 of 5