x
Alumni

Join the Discussion: Managing Your Service Business During COVID-19

Hi Seller Community!

Writing this post to open up a discussion about this great article from the Town Square Blog

How to Manage Your Service Business During COVID-19

We know that Service businesses rely on fostering strong customer relationships. The current challenges with COVID-19 mean that you will most likely not be able to see your customers in person like you are used to. Our favorite tip to confront these challenges is to focus on customer communication. 

Make sure you are communicating with your customers by keeping your hours and booking availability up to date and using digital channels like email and social media. Another great suggestion is to get creative to maintain cash flow for your business. You can do this by selling eGift Cards, implementing prepayments, selling products online and doing virtual appointments via video calls. 

Discussion Questions:

• If you have a service business, have you been using virtual appointments? If so, what tools or software did you use?
  • Have you been using marketing campaigns and social media? What platforms are you finding have the most engagement?
  • Did you recently create an online store? If so, how has it been helping your business? 

Please let us know what you think about the article, answer one of the discussion questions, or just join the conversation by leaving a reply!

Ani
Gestora de la Comunidad de Vendedores / Seller Community Manager, Square
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Hello, I am a woodworker that makes custom-made cabinetry and furniture, my small business has been greatly affected because it depends highly on interacting with people directly (architects, designers, homeowners, and commercial clients). Since I don't sell products online like a retail business, I decided to design some Merch (tshirts, hooded sweatshirts, and tote bags) with non-branded designs from a print on demand company and I decided to email past clients directly and communicated with them that my workshop is temporarily closed and if possible I could use their support through their Merch purchases. The support has been great and my clients appreciated that I reached out to them. I highly recommend this to anyone that has a service based business and may not be sure how to help supplement their income from past clients during this crisis.

If anyone want to see my store and can support me in any way it would be greatly appreciated:

https://teespring.com/stores/omarmunizwoodworking

Message 2 of 23
Alumni

Hey @omarswoodworks  -  thank you for sharing your story and your online store. I LOVE the fanny pack and mask/neck gaiter pictured below. So rad.Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 10.15.33 AM.png

I hope you are safely able to open up your shop soon.

Aaron Weiss
Former Community Lead, Square
Get help in our Support Center | Join the Beta Community
Message 3 of 23

Hi @aarontw ,

Thank you so much! Really glad to hear you like this design! It's quite different from the other designs in my store but I wanted to design something purely just for fun with these. If face coverings are the new normal we might as well look rad right?

Message 4 of 23
Alumni

My brother got me a mask with a cat throwing up rainbows on it. So yes, stay rad 😎

Aaron Weiss
Message 5 of 23
Alumni

Thanks for sharing @omarswoodworks! I second @aarontw's comment. That fanny pack is amazing! Love the leaf print 🍃. Tagging a few other folks, however anyone is welcome to join the conversation: @jmckoy53@Blissbeauty , @SuperiorImages , @KovaFit@Evelyn76 , @NadiaVassellsal@Heather0929 

Ani
Gestora de la Comunidad de Vendedores / Seller Community Manager, Square
Message 6 of 23

Hi @Ani_ 

Thanks! Glad you like the fanny pack!

Message 7 of 23
Super Seller Alumni

Yes!! 

@omarswoodworks I third that - that fanny pack is absolute fire! 🍃🔥

I really love that huuuuge pivot from woodworking to woodworking merch - especially non-branded.
I could even see that become a full fledged business if you want to - I'm sure woodworkers are a nice niche passionate group, and could definitely be up for some targeted non-branded merch & apparel! 

And I love even more the fact that you're doing it through a print-on-demand company so you don't have to deal with any of the logistics.

And I love that your customers have been supportive!

Seriously nice job!
Rooting for ya!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 8 of 23

@pessosices Thank you very much for the love! I actually just received a sample of the neck gaiter which is the same design as the fanny pack and the design is even better than I thought! It's funny because I had a print on demand side hustle not related to my business in the back of my mind but then I quickly took that idea from the back burner and quickly turned it in to merch for my business. The idea of non branded just made sense to me because honestly the chances of me selling merch with my name on it was less likely than merch with fun designs that in some way related to the work I do. It feels really good to get support from my clients, it's a good positive reminder that I am not just in the business of making beautiful cabinets and furniture, I am also in the business of building relationships. 

Message 9 of 23

Hey everyone! 

I started my Square site to be the online store for a few of my products and for services, as a "go to" between 2 different websites I own. 

For the service end, most people have been continuing to contact me directly rather than go thru the Square site. I am thankful that I started doing telemedicine/telehealth for non-local clients a few years ago so I can have some work! Plus I'm doing some Fitness classes. 

For the product end? Well, that's been very challenging ...and disappointing. I am an essential healthcare worker and sports enthusiast, and I designed fabric face coverings (can no longer use the "m" word online) that are comfy, reusable, multipurpose and have SPF protection. After donating a SLEW of 'em and arranging for actual medical grade "m's" in March, I started selling them locally and set up the items on the Square site to also ship out items in April. 

I was banned on FB and instagram last week (May) by an autobot that decided my products violated the community standards; it didn't. I read them and appealed. Previously, I erased any trace of "m" word, got other *new* domains to point to square and it doesn't matter. I've reported it to FB several times a day on a daily basis. Nothing.

They will not allow any mention or indirect linking to square. My site visits and sales were the lowest they've been- obviously since I'm restricted.

It's not great for my other business goods and services to not be able to use social media (can't "like", comment, message...) but also not "fun" for me not to have those things as an outlet. 

((le sigh)) 

Anyone else have issues? 

thefitchick.square.site

Message 10 of 23
Alumni

Hey @fitchickblog - 

Wow, this sounds frustrating on top of everything else that is going on right now. I don't know what Facebook's thinking is about not letting people say the "M" word 😷 . That sounds really frustrating. 

I don't have a solution for you but perhaps someone else will. Thank you for sharing 🙂 

Aaron Weiss
Message 11 of 23

Thank you @aarontw 😊

Message 12 of 23

Hello Everyone, I operate a small (very small) Pest Control Business. I am the only employee so no issues there. We incorporated social media marketing sometime back so 95% of customers contact us through Facebook, text messaging, email, and bringing up the rear phone calls, New customers is split 50/50 between phone calls and texting/social media. 

Sometime ago I signed up for google my business and have been impressed, I control the the message (sales pitch, etc.) and the customer gets to speak directly to the person doing the work (me). I will add that 60% of customers are not home when I service account. (Lake Homes). and those that are in need of service for property that they currently use as a daily home are still calling because lets be honest who really wants to deal with Rats, or Mice, Bats, Ants, Etc. Because pest don't take holidays or vacations.

John G. Gonzales Jr.
Message 13 of 23
Alumni

Hey @4BrothersPest -

Your post had me wondering. How has business been for you? I think that pest control must be important. If you are sheltering in place with a home that has a minor pest problem, it might become a major problem.

I have some ants in my house, it never bothered me a ton, but now that we're home all the time, I am getting tired of my 3000 tiny roommates 🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜

Aaron Weiss
Message 14 of 23

Business has been steady, your right pests usually aren’t a bother til you have to see/deal with them all the time. Currently here in WI we are dealing with stinging insects, Rats yes rats🤢. And General issues

John G. Gonzales Jr.
Message 15 of 23

I sell most of my Hand Dyed and Hand Marbled  at Quilt Shows,  when everything was Cancelled. Seamed like everyone pulled their head in and hid.  I sent out emails and Facebook post and nothing.  I have some very serious garment making skills, so I started creating Face Masks and selling them on Etsy    https://www.etsy.com/shop/MarbledArts?ref=search_shop_redirect   Now my Facebook Posts and emails are about, how I have reinvented myself and Face Masks.  Selling enough to pay the bills.  

Message 16 of 23

Yay, good on you @MarbledArts 

but how are you able to use the "m" word on Facebook without getting blocked? Or link out for your sales? 

Is it just ME???

Message 17 of 23
Beta Member

I know the local seller in our town had her posts get pulled down for using the "m" word. She was using a Facebook group to sell them/other products and had to warn all her customers not to use that word anymore.

Message 18 of 23

We maybe in different situations.  My Face masks are for social distancing.  I am not buying adds.  I am also very careful not to make any sort of medical claims.  But then I have only been at it a couple of weeks and have not gotten dinged for the m work yet.

Message 19 of 23

I think we're very much in the same situation, though. Same on the social distancing (but also I'm appealing to outdoor or athletic enthusiasts) and not making any medical claims... 

JUST today I was hit with 2 more Ads on Insta/FB that clearly used the "m" word so. 

They obviously can't police everybody. I just happened to be one of the ones. 

Message 20 of 23
Alumni

Thanks for sharing these @MarbledArts - they're beautiful! It looks like your Etsy shop is really working for you too. I see three 5-star reviews in the last few days on your masks 

Aaron Weiss
Message 21 of 23