x
Alumni

Live Q&A: Restaurant Revitalization Fund for Square Food and Beverage Sellers

Hi Seller Community!

I'm excited to announce the Small Business Administration has developed a partnership with Square to distribute the Restaurants Revitalization Fund (RRF) relief to the food and drink industry. The Restaurants Revitalization Fund (RRF) is part of the U.S. Government’s American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. This plan includes a $28.6B fund for awards to eligible food and beverage business owners, administered by the Small Business Administration (SBA). 

On Thursday, April 29th at 1:30-2:30 PM PST /4:30 PM-5:30 EST, we'll host a Live Q&A with the Small Business Administration (SBA) to answer any of your questions about the application process. Please make sure to ask any questions directly on this thread below. Keep in mind, the SBA will only be addressing questions related to the Restaurant Revitalization Fund (RRF), not PPP.  

How does the application process work?

We expect to start enabling applications for the Restaurants Revitalization Fund (RRF) on Monday, May 3rd at 12:00 PM EST. The award application program is owned by the SBA, and they are finalizing the process. We know how important these funds are to you and your business, so we are working as quickly as possible to get the application ready!  

Unlike the PPP program, the Restaurant Revitalization Fund are awards and are not loans. They are not serviced as loans, and have no forgiveness component. There are no intermediary banks involved. Awards are determined by and allocated by the Small Business Administration (SBA) and not Square.

If you qualify for a Restaurant Revitalization Fund grant, you’ll have the option to apply MondayMay 3rd on Square Dashboard or through the SBA’s secure website. To help support applicants throughout the process, the SBA will offer phone and district office support.

• Call center hotline (844-279-8898): Applicants can call this number for multi-lingual application or program support. 
  • SBA District Offices: Applicants can reach out to their local District Office for tailored regional SBA support.

For more information about eligibility or to start your application, please visit the SBA Portal. You can also find more information about the Restaurant Revitalization Fund on the Support Center. Let us know if you have any questions for the SBA below!

Note: The SBA has announced that they will officially stop accepting applications for the Restaurant Revitalization Fund (RRF) on Monday, May 24, at 8 p.m. ET.

Ani
Gestora de la Comunidad de Vendedores / Seller Community Manager, Square
Message 1 of 660
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

On Thursday 5/29, we hosted a Q&A with the US Small Business Administration about the Restaurant Revitalization Fund. 

In the Q&A, the SBA and Square answered questions about the application process — from general eligibility requirements to more specific information that applied to individual sellers. 

Here’s some important information that applies to most sellers:

• When can you apply:

• Applications start on Monday 5/3 at 12:00 p.m EST / 9:00 a.m. PST.

• The SBA has a registration window open on Friday 4/30, but if you plan to apply through Square you do not need to register with the SBA. 

• Who can apply through Square:

• To determine if you are an eligible business type, you’ll need to visit SBA’s website (sba.gov/restaurants).

• If you processed with Square in 2019 and 2020 (Table 1 or 2 in the RRF application), you can apply through Square’s dashboard or the SBA. If you used multiple POS providers during that period or had supplemental income e.g. from online ordering apps, you can still apply with Square. You’ll be able to add supplementary income information — but the SBA may require you to provide additional documentation before you e-sign your application.

• If you began processing with Square in 2020 or 2021 (Table 3 in the RRF application), then you will need to apply through the SBA. You can get useful information from your Square account to include in your application — to learn how, please take a look at our Support Center.

• Why you should or should not apply with Square:

• If you apply through Square can save time completing and submitting your application with pre filled data from your Square account.

• Submitting through Square can help you get your application in front of the SBA quickly — before the RRF funds run out.

• Square will enable you to add supplemental revenue information in your application for either Table 1 or Table 2 applicant. However, if you are a Table 3 applicant, you will need to apply via SBA because Square will not let you upload supporting documentation for eligible expenses. 

• How can you apply with Square:

• If you are eligible to apply through Square, you’ll need to log in to your dashboard when the application window opens, using the owner’s login. From there, you’ll find a specific RRF module from where you can start your application.

• Square will have pre-filled your application with the information we know about your business. That said, there is information we do not have access to. To complete your application as fast as possible we recommend to have the following information handy:
      • The date (day, month, and year) you began operations.
      • How many months you operate in every location. This is especially important if you operate a seasonal business. 
      • Any additional income you may have earned in 2019 and 2020 that was not processed through Square. Ideally you are tracking this income by location. If this information is not available feel free to distribute this across locations ensuring the total revenue by location (through Square and other sources)stays under $5M.
      • Your PPP loan information — especially if you did not process these loans with Square.

• After submitting your award application through your Square Dashboard, you’ll need to eSign your application. Here’s how it works:
      • Open an email from Square with the title “Your RRF award application is not yet complete.” Follow the link in the email to visit the SBA portal.
      • If you see a page with the title “Third Party Signup,” you are in the right spot. Enter the text you see in the grey pixelated image in the appropriate field and click Complete Sign Up.
      • You’ll then receive an email from SBA with the title “SBA Restaurant Revitalization Fund - Password Reset E-mail.” Click the link included in the email to reset your password.
      • Once you complete your password reset, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Sign and Submit Application to sign your application via DocuSign.
      • The SBA may also require additional documentation for your application if you indicated revenue outside of Square. From the SBA portal, you will be able to upload supporting documentation to the Additional Info Needed section if required by the SBA.

• How can you get help if you have more questions?

• We will try to answer as many additional questions as possible here through the weekend.

• Call the SBA call center hotline (844-279-8898): Applicants can call this number for multilingual application or program support. 

Reach out to your SBA District Office: Applicants can reach out to their local District Office for tailored regional SBA support.

Ani

View Best Answer >

Message 652 of 660
659 REPLIES 659

Looking at the SBA website, there is an option for the RRF or Restaurant Revitalization Fund that takes the Gross receipts from 2019 and subtracts Gross Receipts from 2020 plus any PPP funding for an additional grant.  Is Square going to participate in this funding as well?  The SBA site says you can apply for the fund via SBA-recognized Point of Sale Restaurant Partners.  Any thoughts?

Message 2 of 660
Beta Member

I too would like to know if Square is going to be offering this and be ready to open in up the coming days?

Message 3 of 660
Alumni

Hey @RGwinemaker Square and the SBA recently announced our partnership, a full list of point of sale partners can be found at sba.gov/restaurants. The application portal for both the SBA and Square will open on May 3.

Ani
Message 4 of 660

Hi Ani, is there a preregistration on Square tomorrow?

Message 5 of 660

From the SBA website:

You can apply through SBA-recognized Point of Sale (POS) vendors or directly via SBA in a forthcoming online application portal: https://restaurants.sba.gov. Participating POS providers include Square, Toast, Clover, NCR Corporation (Aloha). If you are working with Square or Toast, you do not need to register beforehand on the https://restaurants.sba.gov application portal.

Message 6 of 660

Thanks!

Message 7 of 660
Alumni

@ChukE @pk4 was correct! Thank you, @pk4

Ani
Message 8 of 660

There has been talk of this there is certainly nothing announced as to who the Restaurant Partners are.  There has been no word from Square that I can find.  Has anyone hear of a date that they will begin to accept applications?  It should be soon.

Message 9 of 660

It said on the SBA that Square is one of the pos portals we can apply through.

Message 10 of 660
Alumni

@OntheBeach Square and the SBA recently announced our partnership, a full list of point of sale partners can be found at sba.gov/restaurants. The application portal for both the SBA and Square will open on May 3.

Ani
Message 11 of 660
Square Community Moderator

Heya @RobBob, @capsicum, @RGwinemaker, and @OntheBeach!

I moved your posts to an announcement post for this that @Ani_ just posted. 🙌

Check out her post above for details and date for the Live Q&A for any questions you have! If you're not familiar with the Live Q&A's, you can post your question about this program in particular directly in this thread and it'll be answered in this thread on that day. Hope this helps!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 660

Thanks.  I'm ready to start the application now.  If Square goes live on the 4/30, then I suppose the SBA applications will open on the same day.   Let me know if you need anyone to beta test your portal.

Message 13 of 660

Would be willing to beta test also.

Message 14 of 660
Beta Member

If I register on SBA website this Friday, do I have to apply through them or can I apply through Square instead on Monday..

Message 15 of 660
Alumni

Hi @ek11You can still apply through Square!

Ani
Message 16 of 660
Alumni

Hi @RobBobYes, Square and the SBA recently announced our partnership, a full list of point of sale partners can be found at sba.gov/restaurants. Applications through Square and the SBA portal will be open beginning May 3.

Ani
Message 17 of 660

Thanks for your response Ani_ , that's good news to me!!  And since I have received both PPP1 and PPP2 through Square, the fact that I can apply for the RRF here makes it one stop shopping for me.  Since I am a veteran, I suppose I will need to provide documentation.  Is there a process to certify a veteran owned business by Square?

Message 18 of 660
Alumni

No problem! 🙂 @RobBob You will be able to self attest that in our application.

Ani
Message 19 of 660
Beta Member

I'm a little bit concerned about the application tomorrow.  I have some questions I'd like to direct towards Square, because I am trying to decide if it is actually better to apply via the Square Dashboard, or directly with the SBA due to some specific issues.

Unfortunately they closed the thread down, but said it would be active through the weekend.  Am I looking in the right spot?  Is there help anywhere else here at Square?

Thanks.

Message 20 of 660

We are a quick service restaurant and user Square for Retail, can we apply for the restaurant revitalization grant through Square?  Or do you need to to Square for Restaurant in order to do that? 

Message 21 of 660