x

SSL not working after 48 hours

I have read all the threads and it seems the Square/Weebly platform is incredibly slow at creating a SSL certificate. I have waited over 48 hours and have just recently attempted everything again without a result. All the threads seem to say "be patient, wait 48 hours or call us during business hours". 

When I called my domain host 'Crazy Domains' after 48 hours they told me that a SSL certificate has not been applied and that I should call my website host Square/Weebly.

I feel like I should have stayed with my previous host Shopify.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

I just contacted Square Online support and the staff member told me it is my fault because on Who.is there are not two A Records. When I logged into my domain host Crazy Domains I had entered an A Record with the @ symbol in the subdomain field and the www A record as required by Square. When I contacted Crazy Domains they advised me that their system does not accept the @ symbol. 

I'm left in limbo. When I recently contacted Square customer service the support staff told me their engineers are having issues over the last few weeks and he couldn't help.

I'm left without a website now for three trading days and possible more. I'm going to persist but I recommend people stay away from Square and/or Crazy Domains unless this issue is resolved.

So far I have removed the @ symbol on the A record in Crazy Domains and are hoping this resolves the issue.

Message 2 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Hello there,  @ChiefWrench. I am happy to confirm that your site is now secured. Please confirm if you can see this on your end as well.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 16

JJ, 

I have to thank you. You saved me a lot of work as I was almost about to jump ship. 

This morning on a Sunday I checked my site and it was still showing as unsecure.

I started looking at other options, eg. changing domain host or cancelling my Square online site.

30 minutes in my email pinged with your response.

I also have one other issue and that might be right in front of my eyes and I am missing it. Maybe there is an easy solution. 

1. When I import Items from an Excel spreadsheet, Square doesn't appear to be capable of adding a Brand name field in addition to the category field. I'm assuming this will be a lot of creative work at the website design stage as myself and customers won't be able to filter items by brand name. I have skim read most posts in the community resulting in no obvious answer. Is there  a solution in the seller community or in Square's support pages?

Regards,

ChiefWrench 🔧

Message 4 of 16

At this time filtering by the brand is considered a feature request @ChiefWrench.  I will make sure to pass this over to our product team for their visibility and consideration. 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 16

I'm having exactly the same issue here.... seems really odd that I still don't have an SSL Certificate that works.  My domain host is with GoDaddy and I have waited over 48 hours and have just recently attempted everything again without a result. 

Sort of at a loss with what to do. Might have to switch website providers

Message 6 of 16

Sorry to hear about the trouble with your domain, @BenjaminRoberts

Usually, a SSL cannot be propagated because of the failure to recognize our IP address. You will need to make sure that the only records on your domain are as follows;

1 A - type Record with the host/value set as the "@" or the * symbol (depends on your registrar) pointing to "199.34.228.164"

&

Another A type Record with the host value as "www" and pointing to "199.34.228.164".

Feel free to include a link to your site as well - I'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

Message 7 of 16

Hey Arie, 

Was not able to get it to work. I eventually had to purchase a different domain (www.ukedeathsquad.com.au) - and then I'll try forwarding the domain in the interim, and eventually transfer my original domain ukedeathquad.com into Square Up Domains. 

I think the lesson here is that using third party domains is a little bit tricky with Square - GoDaddy doesn't seem to integrate with the Square platform. 

Message 8 of 16
Super Seller

Hi @BenjaminRoberts ,

Definitely can work with Godaddy, but as a registrar their interface is quite dodgey (and updates can be slow).

From memory - the other thing to check is that if the domain is associated with godaddy hosting then the domain will be configured elsewhere (their equivalent to cpanel), rather than in the domain interface itself  and this is not obvious.

Another Aussie square user here, but also have a long background in IT, so if you'd still like to try get the original domain sorted out I'd be happy to jump on a quick call with you and help you sort it out as I know how frustrating these things can be..

Bruce

Bruce Wilson
Owner | Vigneron | Distiller
Message 9 of 16

Thanks Bruce - yeah it seems their was an issue with the way GoDaddy sets up their A-Records, didn't seem to like working very well with Square. 

Also - they won't let me forward my old domain using a 301 to ukedeathsquad.com.au - so I think I'll just transfer the domain over to Square from GoDaddy, and hope my emails (which are with google) aren't down for too long.

Message 10 of 16
Super Seller

@BenjaminRoberts ,

No problem Ben, well the offer is there -  happy to have a 10 minute screen share with you if you like (especially as you're live email is involved).

Ultilmately, if you transfer the domain over to Square, keep in mind it will still be pointing to the godaddy name servers initially. You'll need to replicate any records before re-assigning it... (your mx stuff and the spf record would be the main concern)

Bruce Wilson
Message 11 of 16

Thanks Bruce! Really appreciate your help! 

I've initiated the transfer - will let you know how it goes. 

I'm guessing I can link up our Google Workspace account using Square's back-end so that the email also comes across.

Message 12 of 16
Super Seller

Yeah, if there isn't some sort of wizard to do it for you, then you need to create a few records as per:

https://squareup.com/help/au/en/article/6962-manage-dns-records

Looks like, because the email is existing you may have to create these records yourself

Bruce Wilson
Message 13 of 16

Thanks Bruce. Yeah I'm thinking I have to wait until the domain transfer is complete 🙂 

Hoping I'll get a notification when that's done so I can update my MX records as quickly as possible. At the moment my account just says 'pending transfer'. 

Fingers crossed 🙂 Will let you know how I go. 

Message 14 of 16

Has anyone had any issues trying to update MX Record after they have transferred a domain across to Square? 

Message 15 of 16
Super Seller

@BenjaminRoberts ,

Good to see your domain transferred!

Did you get the MX record issue resolved? If not , what's the problem you're having 

Bruce Wilson
Message 16 of 16