x
Admin

Seller Spotlight - Christmas Trees2You ๐ŸŽ„๐Ÿšš

Hey Seller Community!

This week I spoke with Dugald from the seasonally-appropriate Christmas Trees2You.

Christmas Trees2You is based in Brunswick East, sourcing trees from a nearby farm and delivering them throughout Melbourne in the lead up to Christmas. 

s504191877993847610_p15_i2_w828.jpeg

Hey Dugald, thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule!  How did you get the idea or concept for your business?

The idea for Christmas Trees2You started in April when there was a sense that we would spend a lot of time at home, physically disconnected from family and friends. I thought this would mean that our most special occasions, particularly Christmas, would take on new importance. I started thinking about our Christmas icons, particularly fresh trees and when they came from, how they were grown and how long they last after being cut.

I wrote down dozens of questions, scenarios, potential challenges and came up with ideas for delivering trees. I called eight or so farms around Victoria in early May; all but one said it was too early to talk business. So I drove out to that one farm and learned about tree growing and listened to what the tree farmers had learned. They work eleven months of the year for one month's trade. That time spent with the tree farmers was so valuable. 

wEnQN-mA.jpeg

I went through several iterations with Christmas Trees2You before arriving at a dedicated online delivery service. With the uncertainty of COVID-19, I wanted to be prepared and agile. I had my supply chain organised, years of customer service and logistics experience behind me, and the courage to just give it a shot regardless of the outcome. So I did it!

Thinking about the spread of COVID-19, how have you been able to adapt to changes with health and business regulations?

I've had to keep a close eye on restrictions throughout the year, there was every chance that a delivery service like mine wouldn't be allowed to exist. I'm so glad that we stuck it out and I am able to deliver my trees.

How are your customers and community responding to your Christmas tree delivery service?

They love it, I have had a flood of messages coming in about how convenient, quick and easy it is to order a tree. All my feedback from deliveries has been positive too, it feels great to be part of my customers' Christmas.

129365467_833443014087827_6114518921899521600_n.jpg

What's been the most challenging part of running Christmas Trees2You?

Waiting until the tree season started.  It makes my day every time I see an order come in - it has made the long wait worth it!

The other challenge has been persisting through uncertainty. I had to learn to roll with the punches. I was worried that if it didn't pan out the way I had envisioned that it'd be viewed as a failure. But I changed that mindset when I realised what I've learned along the way. If you're  thinking of starting a business, just do it.  You learn more from the experience of doing it than you do from reading about other people doing it.

What's one thing in your business that you're most proud of?

I'm proud that I followed through with the idea.

I must have canned the idea and revamped it 100 times. I questioned what I was doing, particularly when I was standing in the rain in June on a Christmas tree farm freezing cold with wet feet learning about different varieties of Christmas trees and various farming techniques. 

129409354_190418266117830_7490610771096737765_n.jpg

Thanks for the chat Dugald! 

Links:

Christmas Trees2You

Instagram

Want to be a featured in a Seller Spotlight on our Australian Seller Community? Send me a PM @Seamus for more info!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 1 of 1
0 REPLIES 0