x
Admin

Seller Spotlight - Robbie’s Jewellery, Crafting Art from Science and Nature

Hi community!

I’m pleased to announce that in the first of what will be an ongoing series of Australian Seller Spotlights, we’re featuring one of our regular contributors, @RobbieJewellery!

Robbie is based in Morphett Vale, South Australia, and makes bespoke jewellery from native Australian flora. He uses science-based techniques that transform the natural beauty of the source material into stunning jewellery. We’re thrilled to gain some insight into Robbie's business and feature some of his work here!

rj03.jpg

Hey Robbie, thanks for taking the time to speak with us today! How did you originally get the idea or concept for your business?

I love the uniqueness of Australian Flora, I love science, and I love creating… so when I realised I could combine all three to produce unique jewellery… I had no choice really.

Can you tell us a little about what makes your work unique?

My jewellery is unique due to nature, because every leaf, gum nut, or flower is different. So every piece I make is naturally unique. The process is straightforward and practiced around the world, but mostly as a hobby rather than at a commercial level. 

With my large tank setup I can plate up to 8 pieces at once, and around 40 per week - rather than 1 per day, which is all most hobby setups will make, and what I initially started with. 

It took time, experimentation, and a lot of learning experiences (failed attempts) to set up a process where I could make multiple items at a consistent standard. It is this effort that makes what I do unique.

Can you tell us a little about the techniques you use to turn flora into jewellery?

It takes about 4 days to transform a dried piece of flora into a piece of jewellery and the process can be broken down into 4 stages.

1. Provide a layer of protection to the piece, by applying 2 to 3 thin coats of varnish. 

2. Make the piece conductive. This is achieved by applying 2 to 3 coats of a graphite based paint.

3. After the first two stages the piece is ready to plate. I connect the piece to a power source and submerge it into an acid copper solution. With a very low charge flowing, the copper in the solution is attracted to the piece, atom by atom and over about 8 to 12 hours a fine layer of copper is formed over the piece. 

rj02.jpg

Variations in current/voltage levels, and time produce different thicknesses and can produce some interesting effects. When I'm satisfied the piece is finished it is removed from solution and because it has not been exposed to the air, it’s pure copper and very shiny. If only it would stay this way naturally! Once exposed to the air however it immediately starts to oxidise and lose its shine.

4. The next stage is to seal the piece to reduce the rate of oxidation. I use a brass and copper metal protector to apply a clear coating over the surface. Some pieces I will add a patina before sealing. Put simply, I add chemicals to the surface that cause it to react instantly, replacing and in some cases enhancing what would naturally occur over time.

Once pieces are fully sealed it is then simply a matter of adding findings to the piece. Rose gold includes about 40% copper, which is where it gets its colour from, and is the best match I have found. I would love to use solid rose gold, but the cost would at least double my current prices. As a compromise I use rose gold filled findings where possible, these provide a thicker more resilient layer of gold than gold plated.

That’s basically all there is to it. It is not a difficult process, but it does rely on experience. I spent 6 months experimenting before I was happy with the end product and I'm continuing to experiment and improve it every time. Like any artist I'm in search of the perfect piece.

rj04.jpg

What's been the most challenging part of running your business?

Dealing with difficult conditions at outdoor markets. This is my biggest headache and something I have no control over. My jewellery is lightweight and the slightest breeze will blow it around. Windy days are incredibly stressful - worrying if I have secured the gazebo well enough, making sure the jewellery does not blow away or preventing the necklace chains from becoming a tangled mess.

Thinking about the spread of COVID-19 and subsequent lockdowns, how have you been able to adapt to changes with health and business regulations?

The initial lockdown period resulted in the cancellation of all markets. This was frustrating due to a loss in sales, but also beneficial since it provided time to review my then hobby and plan a way forward, turning a hobby into a full-time business. 

The biggest change I made was to set up and integrate a Square website with Instagram and Facebook and to create a single inventory to manage both market and online sales.

rj01.jpg

What’s something you want to learn or wish you were better at?

I have taught myself the skills necessary to make my jewellery, but I feel that I may be missing some basic jewellery making skills/tricks that could make my life easier. Hence I intend to complete some traditional jewellery making classes in the future.

What's one thing in your business that you're most proud of?

I am most proud of the response I get from people viewing my work. The initial response is frequently ‘they all look so real’ and then when they realise they are real.. the surprise and typical response… ‘oh wow’ and ‘they are so beautiful’. This makes everything worthwhile, even when they don’t make a purchase.

rj05.jpg

Do you have any events coming up?

I am a regular at the Port Elliot (Sat) and Goolwa Wharf (Sun) Markets on the Fleurieu Peninsula, SA, which run on the 1st and 3rd weekends of each month.

Anything else you'd like to share?

I like to say that nature does all the hard work in what I do, which is why I promote the saying. ‘Made by nature and preserved for you by Robbie’.

I am so appreciative of people that support what I do through social media, purchases, or just positive feedback. I would not have got the business going without this encouragement and support. It is so important to have people who support you.

My website is www.robbiesjewellery.com.au. Please check it out and send me a message about what you like/dislike... I’m always looking for ways to improve.

Links:

Robbie's Jewellery Website

Facebook

Instagram

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Alumni

Brilliant stuff, really interesting to learn about this process. The necklace at the bottom is really beautiful 🙂 

Thank you for the write up @Seamus and thank you @RobbieJewellery  for being a seller with Square! 

Aaron Weiss
Former Community Lead, Square
Get help in our Support Center | Join the Beta Community
Message 2 of 2