x
Admin

What is your best hiring tip/secret? โœจ

Heyyy Seller Community ๐Ÿ‘‹

Itโ€™s me again with another Question of the Week! This week, weโ€™re wondering...

What is your best hiring tip/secret? 

__.gif

Please reply below with whatever advice or tips you have when it comes to hiring. This can be how you advertise for job listings, interview questions you always ask, experience you look for, hiring mistakes youโ€™ve learned from, great hiring experiences, do's and don'ts, etc. 

We look forward to reading your replies ๐Ÿค“

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Super Seller Alumni

I always look to hire people who are excited about our organization and mission.  People who can tell me what excites them about us always impress me more when I'm interviewing and they tend to be the employees who shine once hired.

Message 2 of 40
Admin

I can see the importance of hiring folks that are passionate and excited about the mission rather than just want a job @jjgard. Thanks for sharing โœจ

Message 3 of 40

Ask the candidate about themselves.  Focus on the person not the resume.  You can train people to do what you need done.  Some people are just naturally self driven to get things done.

Arden Nickells
Message 4 of 40
Admin

Great input @Bodybyardenjane! Thank you! โœจ

Message 5 of 40
Super Seller

I actually work my shop by myself so donโ€™t hire people anymore. When for the roller rink I tended to hire people that I had seen in there and gotten to know over time. That worked out very well because it was basically an interview over the course of months that ensured I always got people that fit in well with everyone else. My construction company was really a different situation. I paid the crew a share of the profits on each job as a bonus and had the same guys for years. Rarely had an opening but when I did the guys would bring someone they thought would fit in and be a good addition. I would talk to them , check out their tools. If I liked what I saw then I told them to roll out and build me a 3 step set of stairs if they were a carpenter l. If they managed that then I told them they could join the guys for a few days for cash as a trial and if they fit in they got permanent slot. If it was laborer job or carpenter apprentice then no steps but they had to work with me for a few days. If they could keep up with me then they got hired permanently. 

Message 6 of 40
Admin

Thank you for sharing @homeprogreen ๐ŸŒฑ Great advice to do a trial. 

Message 7 of 40
Beta Member

We have an 11 step hiring process, which includes spending a fair amount of time with the candidate. This can take up to a month, but is absolutely worth it. We update the process constantly, especially when we have found we have overlooked something. Most importantly, throughout the process we judge all candidates on four crucial areas:

Character: Most important! Are they honest? Are they humble and willing to learn? Do they love well? Do they bring peace to the environment? How do they deal with conflict? Do they have a positive or negative history with work?

Competency: Do they have the skills and experience to perform with excellence in this environment and with the standards we set? Beyond that, are they going to bring something to the table that we can learn from or that will take us all to new levels? Also, do they carry themselves with confidence so that clients can see and feel their competency and start to build trust early? Would you trust them with providing services to your clients?

Chemistry: Would you want to hang out with them? How will their personality fit into the team dynamic with the existing personalities that we have? Would your clients love them?

Capacity: How does their work schedule and all that is required fit into their life? Do they have routines of self-care, physically, mentally, and emotionally to be able to bring their best into work? Have they worked this kind of schedule before with back-to-back clients?

Message 8 of 40
Admin

Sounds lengthy and complex, but hopefully has paid off @beautifulco? Great advice and thank you for sharing! 

Message 9 of 40

Though we haevn't hired yet, I we intend to do a trial by fire method where we test applicants on their ability to detail cars without instruction to see where they are at as well as their attention to detail. I never liked traditional interviews and wish that this is what I wish places would do some times. Practice what you preach, ey?

Pesky water spots... Go away!
Message 10 of 40
Admin

Good call.

That will really give you an idea of how they work and what they can do @RayneDrops โ˜”๏ธ Happy hiring (for when you do)! 

Message 11 of 40
Beta Member

Pay more than you think your position is worth. You get better candidates and they stay longer, reducing turnover costs. And, for us in a retail position: ask for a resume. Those that go that next step to actually bring us one are immediately of interest due to their response. 

But seriously, pay more. It is so much better in the long run to have happier employees who are invested in the job and are willing to put more effort into it because they're being paid what their time is worth.

Message 12 of 40
Admin

WOW! Totally agree that the happier the employees are, the more invested they will be in the job @JedThompson โœจ Great advice. 

Message 13 of 40

Absolutely!  

Message 14 of 40

Hi there,

we are green & clean. Independent, sole proprietor & NON GMOis i mportant for all.

we are not hiring family run.

Saving energy, time, resources whenever possible recycled packaging & plastics& glasswares.

Best Regards,

LOJ

Message 15 of 40

My favorite interview question is "are you a Dog or Cat person?" It gets them out of "interview mode" and breaks the ice for more personality based questions. I agree with what was said above, hire for the personality not the qualifications - you can train anyone but you can't change someone with a bad attitude. 

Message 16 of 40
Super Seller

Hire for personality. Train for skills.

MOGO Korean Fusion Tacos
eatmogo.com
IG: @eatmogo
Asbury Park Food Collective
asburyparkfood.co
IG: @asburyparkfood
Message 17 of 40
Super Seller

My 3 big questions I ask every person I interview.  Tells me about how they like to be managed:

1.  Who has been your favorite manager you worked for and why?

2.  Who has been the worst manager you ever worked for and why?

3.  Do you have a hobby?  What do you like to do when you are not working?

Note:  If the answer to #2 is "I have so many to choose from."  They are the bad employee.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 18 of 40
Admin

That's a very important note @Donnie-M ๐Ÿ˜‚ Thanks for sharing!

Message 19 of 40

Definitely stealing these. Thank you for sharing!

Message 20 of 40
Beta Member

In my experience, it's more important to look for someone who is game, (ready and willing to try, good attitude, high energy) than someone more experienced who has a less enthusiastic approach. 

She/her
Message 21 of 40