x
Admin

What is your best hiring tip/secret? ✨

Heyyy Seller Community 👋

It’s me again with another Question of the Week! This week, we’re wondering...

What is your best hiring tip/secret? 

__.gif

Please reply below with whatever advice or tips you have when it comes to hiring. This can be how you advertise for job listings, interview questions you always ask, experience you look for, hiring mistakes you’ve learned from, great hiring experiences, do's and don'ts, etc. 

We look forward to reading your replies 🤓

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39

be your self at all time

Message 22 of 40

Trending discussion while showing products and services 

Message 23 of 40

Don't hire relatives!

Message 24 of 40
Super Seller

Oops.  Haha

I have hired both my wife and my sister, but both are amazing.  I admit it would be very tough to fire them though.  haha

Michael
New Light Photography | SUB Photo | Square fan
Message 25 of 40

Since I'm still a fairly new operation, I have only had to hire people for specific events. However, when I do, I like to try to get people who are honest, personable, and also clients of mine. I can talk all day about how good my products are, even though I use them a lot myself, but having someone else who has used my products talk about how they use them, and what they've found works well with them, is even better.

Message 26 of 40
Super Seller

More of a "don't" tip than a "do" tip: if a candidate is late for the interview, do not hire them.

I've broken this rule twice because the person interviewed very well, and ended up regretting it both times.  If they aren't excited enough to be on time for their very first meeting, they aren't very excited about the job opportunity either - and their work will show it.

Michael
Message 27 of 40

Yes 

Message 28 of 40

It has helped me to create a trial period.  This allows both me and the new hire a taste of what it is like to work together. At the end of the trial period we review and decide whether or not to continue working together. Salary is also different at the beginning vs. the end of the trial period. 

@MsDenBrown
Message 29 of 40

Since you are not technically allowed to look into their social media accounts without their permission, just ask for permission... If they are not willing to show you them and don't have an acceptable reason beyond "privacy", do not hire! Todays social media can provide more insight and warning signs in 5 minutes than you would probably get from 5 months of just what person to person knowledge could be obtained.

Message 30 of 40
Super Seller

I'm not sure about the law, but I think anyone can look at your social media - if you posted something visible to the public, then it's out there - and there's no way to prevent it, or even know if they checked it out. 

Honestly, checking their social media is the first thing I do when I get an application that looks promising!

Michael
Message 31 of 40

Set a interview goal per week.  Example.  I had to keep 25 trucks on the road in a service business with about 50% annual employee turnover rate.  I did 2 interviews a week whether I needed anyone or not.  I kept 1 technician in training constantly incase someone quit or was fired.  Called this keeping someone on the bench.  When hard times of the year were approaching I would increase the depth of the bench.  If I found an a great applicant I would hire them and let someone go.  Always be looking to replace your bottom 10%.  What I mean here is your worst employees.  To get that many interviews week I used Indeed.  I also went to all Zoom interviews so as to never waste time on interviews that turn out to be a "no show"  Also with indeed.  When you get an applicant you need to respond within a couple of hours minimum.  Now waiting or they will be already hired by your competitor.

Wade W.

Message 32 of 40
Super Seller

In our food hall, we will offer 17.00/Hour, 4 weeks vacation, and healthcare. That will make hiring a lot easier in this competitive Los Angeles Market.

René

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 33 of 40

I try to hire for fit and personality and work ethic, and the rest is teachable. And I agree with the above: treat people well, assume the best of them, and pay them as best as you can. Offer perks if you can't afford benefits.

I'm running a coffeeshop in the bottom level of my own house, AND I'm on the hiring committee for our local municipal water authority: I never lack for applicants. I ask for resumes, and I always always call references. I've got some tried and true questions for both situations:

-tell me about your favorite job

-tell me about a time something went poorly at work/school/wherever, and how you helped fix the situation

-if you had all the experience necessary, and you were in a theater production, would you be the lead actor/actress, the director, or propmaster? (you gotta have a balance of these kinds of people! sounds silly but it's a very helpful questions, and loosens them up too)

I ask references:

-do people like working with them?

-scale of 1-10 common sense/problem solving skills

-would you hire them again?

-would you trust them with the keys to your house?

In 14.5 years, I've only had to let one person go, on friendly terms. 

Message 34 of 40

We are actually going to make a video on How To Hire Like Chick-Fil-A with our mentor who is an operator for over 15 years. We went from 3 employees to 35 in less than a year and have built a team that lets us step away when needed. 

Video should be up in about 2 weeks if you want to sub or just watch out for it. We've learned so much from him and I think the video will provide huge value to anyone in your shoes. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuiyHL6SHzjzFyHXAJx2RMg

^not sure what the guidelines are on posting links but I just think it'll be super valuable because it has helped up so much. 

Message 35 of 40

Read people for who they really are and don’t expect anything past a person who they really is. 

Message 36 of 40

Hire someone that is passionate about your business. Lives the lifestyle

Message 37 of 40

It's a combination of a real enthusiasm and personality.  of course they have to have the chops in their resume.  I guess you get a 'general sense' of the person and it's alot about how you get along with them first and whether you think their personality will fit within the team. For us, being an art supply store, we want someone who is balanced with regard to being artsy, thinking outside of the box and is really diligent, understanding the importance of seemingly small or inconsequential tasks.  Everything we ask someone to do on the daily, monthly etc., is a building block for a great customer experience every day.  We also want our hiree to understand how to create customer working relationships that are receptive and attentive for the customer but not intrusive.  Artists and educators come in all forms and it's really a skill to be able to handle them all adeptly and with aplomb. We want someone who is willing to learn those skills.  It's not easy to develop a method of interviewing that reveals those strengths or seeds within a candidate. 

Message 38 of 40

Our salon practices of hiring a stylist is as follows:

1) The person's appearance. We are an edgy salon. Creativity is a must, along with self cleanliness. 

2) Their portfolio. We need to see their work. Cuts, Color's, Perm's and so on...

3) Client list, online reviews and letters of recommendation. You need to be able to carry your own in our salon. 

4) Past salon employer reviews about the stylist, their attendance, attitude towards other stylists & client's, and cleanliness of their station and back bar. There's no room in our salon for a dirty drama-lama's!

5) and lastly, day's & hour's they wish to work.

After all that, if things look good... we ask them to tell us about themselves and about their favorite past time hobbies.

Message 39 of 40

I know this doesn't pertain to the QOD. But I just wanted to know this so that it could help me with my business.

I have an item that I use in multiple places of one store.

So lets say I have (30 eggs in my total inventory) I use 1 egg for a salad. Then I use 4 eggs for an egg salad. (We all know that it will 25 eggs left. But how do I put it like that app so that the tracker will count it down for me, and let me know when my stock is low. So I don't have to do inventory every day?

Message 40 of 40