x
Admin

What's the best way to get your business name out there?

Hi Seller Community

I’ve seen multiple posts in the Community looking for advice/guidance on how best to advertise your business and what tactics/methods have worked for you to gain more customers. Do you use direct mail marketing or do you focus your energies on building your online following? 

Feel free to reply to this post sharing a bit about your business and what’s been working for you thus far to get your business name out there. 

Looking forward to some replies and suggestions 😊

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Beta Member

I think it depends on the type of business for sure. I'm in the restaurant world and having an active Instagram account is definitely a big part of getting our name out there.

Message 22 of 36

When I lived in NH, I put my business cards on public notice boards and there also was a dedicated website that the pagan community used to meet up until they shut down a few years ago! So now unfortunately everyone has to pay for advertising, and google ads and facebook are expensive when you don't have any money coming in except for your current salary from your full time job, so your side business stays a hobby and you're lucky IF someone comes across it doing a web search which the square websites are not included in the SEO's for some reason...I have my regular Weebly website which I just hid all the pages and have them come to my square site since it's the one that's been updated the most.

Message 23 of 36
Beta Member

Targeted Social Media Ads for sure!! 

Message 24 of 36

Google and Instagram 

Message 25 of 36

I use social media to get my name out there to market to potential new customers, but I use email to stay in touch with my current customers as well as to bring back lapsed customers. My customers age range are 20's to early 40's and don't really prefer email. 

Message 26 of 36

I'm in private practice. I buy packaged blank cards at the dollar store and send birthday cards to all of my patients. It often "reminds" them that they need to come in for a tune up and I get a lot of repeat business this way. It's a really nice, personalized way to stay in touch.

Message 27 of 36

Need help with my business

Message 28 of 36

I have been I business now for about 10 years and it is starting to get a little  harder to pick up jobs now with the with this pandemic but I should have been picking up  more job I have a good name out there I get about 5 out of 10 job just with word of mouth 

Message 29 of 36

I am in the salon business and have a rocking strategy! Over the years I have been blessed to have many software engineers as clients. What I have learned from them was free and I am in the process of setting up a youtube channel to share my online strength and strategies for free. I did not pay anyone, but I did a lot of following directions. I don't have it up yet but it will be soon.

I am at @Swankyourstyle on Instagram if you want to stay tuned for when it drops. EVERYTHING will be free... My business always comes up on the first page of google and I have never paid a dime. I will talk you through step by step. After this coronavirus we all need to help one another. The only thing you need is a website and a computer and time to execute. 🙂

Message 30 of 36
Beta Member

Thank you for your advice. I'm going to follow you and watch how you roll 🙂 I have a website via Square would that work?

Message 31 of 36

I am obviously late for the topic, my small business is a non-popular item (handmade greeting cards), I have a My Google Business, I post constantly on Instagram and Facebook, I have an Etsy shop still seems like these past few months I went from some sales to almost none. 

Message 32 of 36
Beta Member

I too arrived late to this conversation. I just came off a heck of a month (for me, lol) and I'm trying to see how to maintain/and increase these sales. I just started a YouTube Channel - posted on TikTok (Have no idea what I am doing there.) and have started doing live videos. I have a website here on Square - have been debating on opening an Etsy store.

Message 33 of 36
Super Seller Alumni

I understand you there. My daughter does cards. I too have usual business, I sell quilts and other crafts that my aunt and I make, so most of our items are one of a kinds and even though we don't make many sales I try to order from her. I just ordered small single sided "thank you' cards from her to put in with orders.

Amy Blasingim
ABC Quilts & Crafts
Message 34 of 36
Super Seller

I highly recommend that you join your local Chamber Of Commerce and get involved in their networking events, mixers, etc.  In a room full of people who are eager to trade business cards and hear about your business, it is great for building up a local following.  People who join the Chamber and attend at least two events per month are more likely to be thought of by other businesses as well for referrals and such. You can tell your story in front of a targeted audience and demonstrate your product.  Also, you will be more likely to be invited to local community events and festivals.   I find it to be a critical part of my marketing and is a very affordable way to get very well known in the community.  I have been a small business owner member of the local Chamber Of Commerce for going on 15 years.

~Cheryl!
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!

Cheryl! Tisland
Burst Of Butterflies Create & Paint Studio

BurstOfButterflies.com
Message 35 of 36

Hello, thanks for responding to post. I started out marketing myself through social media and I wasn't getting the clientele I wanted so I hired a professional company by the name of Valpak and they are doing my advertising through FB and with them doing it for me I still haven't gotten one client. My business is call (All Smiles On Me) I specialize in cosmetic teeth whitening and gem application I also make beaded jewelry. In my location VA.

they don't have a lot of business that offer these services it's just a matter of finding the audiences. 

Message 36 of 36