x
Admin

What's the best way to get your business name out there?

Hi Seller Community

I’ve seen multiple posts in the Community looking for advice/guidance on how best to advertise your business and what tactics/methods have worked for you to gain more customers. Do you use direct mail marketing or do you focus your energies on building your online following? 

Feel free to reply to this post sharing a bit about your business and what’s been working for you thus far to get your business name out there. 

Looking forward to some replies and suggestions 😊

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Admin

Message 2 of 36
Super Seller

From my experience, many people will automatically jump to "advertise on Facebook" .  Which we have all done I am sure.  It is a great tool, IF you know how to use it properly.  Depending on your business word of mouth can crucial for local support.  I myself have tried many tactics and am always looking for ways to increase presence. 

One of the most effective for me I found is building and establishing your Google My Business (GMB) profile.  Its free to use, but you should devote your time to filling out all of the required information. If you are running a website, MozPro will offer a free trial for 30 days as well, which is loaded with tons of features to help boost local and web SEO presence. 

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 3 of 36
Super Seller Alumni

I agree that Google My Business is great. I also like that if you fill everything out and link your Square account, every time you update your website it auto-updates in GMB.

Amy Blasingim
ABC Quilts & Crafts
Message 4 of 36
Super Seller

@AmyB1 : Wait, you can link your Square account to GMB? How am I not aware of this...

How is that done may I ask?

Max Berkowitz | MAX’S DELI
Square Online Store
Message 5 of 36
Super Seller

Try this info here to connect to GMB.

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 6 of 36

From what I've seen, with my google business account. I get more than a million hits in a month but the redirection to my square site doesn't work well.  I haven't had one sale on square, I don't know if it is because I've done something wrong in here, it's most definitely not because my Google business page isn't advertising or getting the hits or what, but I don't think that is a tool that is going to work, to tell the truth.  I'm not sure what will work. My neighborhood is completely closed minded when it comes to all natural and organic products so that is no help at all.  I've also used next-door neighbor and same. I Get a ton of hits, but nothing on Square. I put the link in there, and nothing. Same with Facebook.

Message 7 of 36

So I own a car dealership here in Richmond Virginia. Sometimes I spend $50-$60 a day on Google ads and don’t get a phone call. The times that I do maybe five out of 10 they are intending to call a taxi service or a moving company. I don’t know that if it’s just Google rerouting calls to charge me, or if it’s bad architecture of the ad. Nothing in it says I’m a taxi company obviously, but I just wonder if anyone knows a way to obtain  better results

Message 8 of 36
Square Community Moderator

Hi @BetterWayCars! Welcome to the Seller Community!! I've merged your post to an existing thread that Isabelle started. We have a bunch of sellers in there like @alexandriak @Doran and @AmyB1 have offered advice on this themselves. I hope these connections help get you on the right path, but definitely reach out in this thread if you have any other questions!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 36
Square Community Moderator

@sandraaulds Thank you so much for sharing. I'm going to tag some of our Super Sellers who are keen to answering business related questions to see if they have any tips that may work for you!

@Ravenssong69 @shopfybr @LocavoreStore @londontea @HC_Charlie @alexandriak @ryanwanner  @GourmetOnWheels @VanKalkerFarms @homeprogreen @jjgard 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 36

how do you connect our square account?

Message 11 of 36
Super Seller Alumni

Does your business have a Google account? You will need to create one. Search Google My Business, login and follow all of the setup steps. They will walk you through it. If necessary do what I did and open the “learn more” in another tab and you can go back and forth between setup and your Square website. 

Amy Blasingim
ABC Quilts & Crafts
Message 12 of 36

So how much would this tool run me per mouth?

Message 13 of 36
Super Seller

Yes to FB and Google My Business!!

I would also recommend doing local events in your area too! They can be great exposure for someone just starting out.

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 14 of 36

Honestly, if it’s a service that people actually NEED, create your Google listing and wait for the phone to start ringing. Take care of those customers and word of mouth will become your best ally. Google search Affordable Lock in Myrtle Beach and see what works for us. 👍🏻

Message 15 of 36
Super Seller

I agree with @locksmithnick  Start with a strong Google listing and word of mouth.

Plus, have a great referral perk. Like, get 25% off with every referral. I always did a free lash refill with a referral. 

Also, make sure to have a good email list and newsletter so people can get to know you before they buy. With my type of business people tend

not to book right away and my newsletter has help push them towards booking. 

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 16 of 36
Super Seller

In my 13 years of doing this, I've found that nothing beats word of mouth. I've actually started offering "commissions" to regulars who keep bringing people in. Cup of coffee on me, half pound price for a full pound of coffee, things like that.

Other than that, depending on your business, personality is key. For me, even though we use Loyalty, we focus on remembering people. In my employee manual, there are requirements to know a certain percentage of our regulars' names and drinks before advancing: 10%: out of training, 25% within three months, 50% to be a team lead, 90% to be a manager. Being able to say "Hey Joe! Welcome back! How are the kids?" for our regulars has helped us establish the community aspect of our business. I also tell our team that they are allowed one "Regulars Thank You" comp'ed drink per week. To me, it means so much more to hear "this is the fifth time I've seen you this week. Thank you, this one is on us." versus "You have a free drink according to our computer. Do you want to use it?"

As for other advertising, I do not get traction on anything paper anymore. I used to run an ad in the local community paper: $95/mo. I never saw anything from it. Social media has been my advertising bread and butter. In fact, if I miss a few days posting, there is a noticeable drop in sales volume for me. I keep up on my FB and Insta pages regularly and make sure Google has all the updated info.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 17 of 36

These are great ideas. We started our bakery/coffee bar last year and find that posting on Instagram with a share to Facebook brings in business every day. We have a birthday club where kids of all ages get a birthday card and a free pastry during their birthday month. 

I really like your employee manual ideas, setting the tone and incentives are great ways to motivate great employees. 

We were spending $75 a week to advertise in our local paper and never had anyone mention it, although people tell us all the time they "got out of bed this morning because of your post on Instagram!"

Jana Felt
Message 18 of 36
Super Seller

We are a membership-based studio so we rely on long and short-term members - word of mouth goes a long way. We focus on ads for events, special bookings, and sales. Facebook and Instagram have brought in a ton of business with low $50-100 buy-ins. Focusing more on social media has brought in new people on a consistent basis. Google My Business is also an effective tool.

Deanna [they/them]

MudFire CEO | Square enthusiast

Visit me at MudFire online
Message 19 of 36

Hi Isabelle,

I'm not really savvy when it comes to marketing at all.  What I have done for the past year and a half is just posted on Facebook.  I've tried the algorithm thing, hostess parties, lives etc....nothing seems to work to get any more people.

I sell Paparazzi jewelry.

Thanks,

Kimberly

Message 20 of 36
Super Seller Alumni

I hear you. I am new to this whole thing too. I just keep at it and listening on here. Your business is similar to mine, I run a gift shop in which everything in it is made by me and my aunts. I have yet to find anything that I can afford. So it’s me trying to put word out and getting the few customers I have give me “word of mouth”. 

Amy Blasingim
ABC Quilts & Crafts
Message 21 of 36