x

Restrict Categories from Discount

Restrict Categories from Discount

We would like to restrict certain categories of items from discounts. Currently, we can apply discounts to certain categories, but this then applies the discount automatically. We sell food and wines. There are discounts on wine but never on food. So we want to be able to restrict the Food category from any and all discounts that might be applied to a ticket. Thank you.

8 Comments

The older thread is more than five years out of date. This is a no-brainer feature that literally every other restaurant POS has and I can't believe Square doesn't support this. I want my Employee Discount to only apply to Food items and not Alcohol. Please do not direct me to the current Discount Rules page, I don't want the discount to automatically apply to every food item.

Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @

Good news! There is an option to add a discount rule whenever you get it created. Check out the screenshot below to see the options to set for your discounts. 

Let me know if you have any issues seeing this settings or getting it set up. I am happy to circle back. 

Kassi-

That rule makes the discount apply automatically which is not what I want.

@MonarchFB -

Ah okay. The type of discount set up you're looking for would be a Feature Request for our Product Team. 

I am happy to get this escalated over to them. 

Beta Member

I agree this would be very helpful.  There are certain items that you don't want discounts on and it is to cumbersome to have to add categories to a discount.  In some cases it would be much easier jut to exclude them.

Thanks,

@Jodie Patla

Status changed to: Not currently planned

Hey there, @BigBasinVin & @Jpatla  - 

Thank you both for bringing this feedback to the Ideate board when it comes to discounts & your categories. 

Your business insight is crucial, so we know how our current methods are affecting your business. 

Right now, this particular option for discounts is not available or on the roadmap. Our Product Team will provide some more information throughout the process, so a Community Moderator can update the status on your post. 

Keep an eye out for any updates throughout the process. 

How has this feature STILL not been added? It has been requested several times over the last 5+ years with a lot of community support. One of the threads has 19 pages of comments requesting it.

For example, let's say a business sells alcoholic beverages and needs to be able to use a discount without it discounting the alcohol, as it's illegal to do so in many areas. If the business accidentally discounts the alcohol they are literally breaking the law.

Square, PLEASE ADD THIS.

*Edit to add one more example: I often want to offer discounts on a per-sale-basis, but I only want to discount my labor and not merchandise. Currently there is no way to do this, so I have to manually create a new service with a discounted price, but then the customer doesn't see that it was discounted. Automatically applied discounts are not helpful in this case.

SAME! Why is this STILL not available? The workarounds are time-consuming, and this should be an option by now.