x
Admin

Meet a Super Seller: Pesso

super seller wordmark blue (1).png

Welcome to the latest in series of interviews with our Super Sellers. Super Sellers are experts in Square and they make time in their busy schedules to help others in the Seller Community, provide feedback on Square’s features and tools and much more! Learn more about how to engage in the Community and how to potentially become a Super Seller. If a Super Seller helps you in the Community, give them a kudo or a Best Answer. 😁

In this post we meet @pessosices who runs Pesso’s Ices & Ice Cream in Queens, New York. He shares the best business advice he's ever received and how they've adapted to restrictions in the wake of Covid-19. Read on to learn more.

Community Username, First Name, Pronouns: Pesso, He/Him

Business Name: Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream

Tell us about your business.

My name is Pesso and I own & run Pesso’s Ices & Ice Cream in Queens, New York. We make & sell 100+ flavors of Italian Ices, Ice Cream & Gelato right in the back of our little shop. 

I started the business with my dad 15 years ago, and we’ve been running it together ever since. My father was a House Painter and one day while we were working together, he turned to me and said "You know, I want to open an Ice Cream store." Being 13 years old at the time, faced with the prospect of owning an Ice Cream store, I jumped on the idea and we started making a plan. Within 6 months we had our place and got to work making some delicious desserts.

Where can we learn more about your business? 

www.pessosices.com  

@pessosices on FacebookTwitterInstagram

What changes have you made to your business adapt to COVID-19 restrictions?

For the first few months we shifted to Online Pickup Orders only. We put our Website front and center, and prioritized contactless everything. Now that we're taking in-person orders through our Walk-Up Window, having our Square Registers with the separate customer facing display 3-6 feet away is a huge way to keep our employees and customers safe.

What’s the best business advice you’ve received?

Embrace Change. Don't be afraid of making changes to keep up with the times and make your business better. If you don't change, your business won't keep up with your customers. Don't chase fads, but move forward and keep up with long lasting trends.

Why did you start using Square?

In 2012 we started up with Square with my old iPod Touch, and upgraded to a couple of iPads after a few months. At first it was just a quick and easy way to take credit cards without a hassle, but we started seeing all of the huge advantages of having an easy to adapt and change Register system, and getting all of the sales data.

What do you know now that you wish you knew on day 1 of starting your business?

I would have loved to know to track absolutely everything. Having more information of what sells and what doesn't, how much time and effort and money is spent on certain things, is priceless data. The key and the next step is using that data to simplify the business. Phasing out flavors or product lines that don't sell well or cost too much, cutting down on shifts during slower times, anything you can do to simplify the business for yourself, your employees, and your customers is key.

What questions can you help with in the Community? What's your favorite discussion topic?

I love helping with business strategy and overall improvement. Talking through ways to make businesses more efficient & automated to free up your time, maximize your profits, and let you live your life. I also love talking through Loyalty, Marketing, Item Libraries, and more!

What is your favorite Square tool/feature?

We absolutely love the Square Register. As soon as it came out we upgraded from 2 iPads to 4 Registers. It's such a great piece of hardware, especially since we use & love Loyalty and our Customers can use their own designated screen to sign up, redeem their rewards, and look over the transaction.

What is the feature you'd like Square to consider creating next?

I would love a Square Digital Menu Board and a Square Accountant.

Pesso's Italian Ices and Ice Cream.jpg

Pesso's Rainbow Italian Ice.jpg

Thank you @pessosices for participating in Meet a Super Seller and for being part of the Super Seller Program! We appreciate everything you do!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Alumni

Thanks for sharing, @Helen. Loved reading about your seller story, @pessosices! We're so grateful to have you in the Community. Pesso’s Ices & Ice Cream will be the first place I'll visit if I am ever in Queens!🍦😋The cinnamon toast cereal flavor sounds heavenly.

Ani
Gestora de la Comunidad de Vendedores / Seller Community Manager, Square
Message 2 of 5
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks so much @Helen & @Ani_ !

We'd love to have all of you anytime!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 3 of 5
Admin

Love that business advice!

Thanks for sharing @pessosices !🍦 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 4 of 5
Super Seller Alumni

Thank you @isabelle !

It's always my pleasure!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 5 of 5