x

How long will it take to refund a credit card transaction?

I wanted to know how long will it take to refund money that was paid on a credit card.
Does it do it immediately?

Message 1 of 42
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @JRussellEnterpr 👋 thanks for making your first post to the community! 

The refund timeline is a little bit different from the payment timeline. It can take 2-7 business days to process a refund when using Square Point of Sale. Once the refund is processed and sent to your customer’s card issuer, the funds can take another 2-7 business days depending on how your customer's card issuer processes the refund.

In total, it can take 9-14 business days for your customer to see the refund post to their payment card account.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

A customer paid money and I had to refund it. She paid with PayPal. It appears the refund went through on my end, however she has yet to receive it. I refunded on November 23 and it is now December 11. What happened to the money? I don’t have it and neither does she.

Message 22 of 42

my client has not received his refund. we processed the refund on $5,000.00 REFUND ORIGINAL PURCHASE Custom Amount Online Transaction $5,000.00 Total $5,000.00 Jan 14 2020 at 6:58 PM Auth code: 03725G RETURN

Message 23 of 42
Square Community Moderator

Hi @kdeaenterprises! Welcome to the Community.

I merged your post with an existing thread in the Community on how long refunds can take to process.

Check out Sean's answer on the first page for the answer. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 24 of 42

I have yet to see a refund on my account 

Message 25 of 42

Hi @Greenpea72,

I merged your post to a relevant thread that explains how long refunds to your bank can take.

If it was truly voided and not just refunded- that would be on your bank to drop the charge which typically happens in a few business days but if it's been longer than that we'd recommend contacting your bank. 

Ashley C
Message 26 of 42

i refunded an order that was cancelled, How long will it take to show  up on their card that they used?

Message 27 of 42

Hi there, @JoeyFrench 👋 Thanks for taking the time to ask your question here on the Seller Community! We are happy to have you.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also curious about refund timelines for customers. This Best Answer from Russell will answer any remaining questions you may have.

Feel free to reach out if anything else comes up!

Joe
Message 28 of 42

I’m fair puzzled.  Due to the pandemic my client that lives in London, England  can’t travel to United State. Therefore,  she request a refund.  I located her transaction and tapped refund amount.  Today,  the money was taken out of my bank account by square and my client never received the money.  Square sent me a note about out of the country transaction.  My client paid me using her Visa.  Why did square take the money and not credit my clients credit card?   I’m looking unprofessional,  because the client was expecting her credit card to be credited $265.00 yesterday.  I need that money sent back to my bank account.  There wasn’t a reason for square to take the money and not refund my client.   I just do not understand.   

Message 29 of 42
Alumni

Hey @1Life

Refunds can take up to 14 biz days before it's returned to your customer's account. If you issued the refund recently, then they have some time to wait.

Once the amount has been debited from your bank account, the refund cannot be cancelled and has to run its course. 

Refund overview here on this thread I moved you to. 

Justin
Message 30 of 42

Charged customer 5min after had to give refund due to malfunction  customer bank show no pending refunds only original payment pending when will customer see refund or did refund not go thru Also is it possible refund won’t show until Monday?

Message 31 of 42
Beta Member

I issued a customer a refund on an invoice on May 13th. They say they haven't gotten it. When I look at their original invoice I see the item I refunded for but the invoice doesn't show that I've made the refund. If I try to issue another refund, the item I already refunded isn't available to refund. WHen I look in Transacations at refunds I do not see the refund I issued.

How do I track this refund down to confirm for the customer that I issued the refund?

Message 32 of 42

Hi there, @ZDeli 👋 Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community! We are happy to hear from you again.

Per our Refund Guidelines, refunds back to customers can take anywhere from 2 to 7 business days to reflect on a customers card statement. Te specific timeline of when a refund returns is up to their card issuing bank, specifically. Based off of what you described, it sounds as though the refund is still within this time frame.

If you eventually exhaust the 7 business days, we would recommend flagging this over to our Support Team. They can provide you with some resources for tracking the refund with your bank to ensure it gets back to the customer.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Joe
Message 33 of 42

I sent a refund to my customer August 10th , 2020 . My customer emailed me saying she still has not received her refund. I’m not sure on what to do 

Message 34 of 42
Alumni

The refund definitely should have landed in your customer's account by now. At this point, it's best if the customer disputes the charge with their bank. 

@miiyarenee

Justin
Message 35 of 42

My client is saying she nvr recieved her refund its been more then a month

Message 36 of 42

How can I get a refund on my bank account someone has been using it and I never gave permission to anyone to use it I need a refund please it's for my rent...

Message 37 of 42
Alumni

Are you saying you see unauthorized transactions on your bank statement from someone using your bank card? If so, you should report that directly to your banking institution to dispute those charges. 

@Consuelo_1938

Justin
Message 38 of 42

I need help

Message 39 of 42

Hi there, @Jflip7 - you can reach out to our Support Team for assistance here.

Joe
Message 40 of 42

Hello, im speaking as a costumer. The seller refunded my on the 22th july, and I still have not recieved it on my bank account. Do I have to do something to get the refund, like in paypal where the money stays on the paypal account and i have to withdraw it to my bank? Please help, im afraid im being ripped off. He did send me the receipt of the refund.

Message 41 of 42

Hey @Maskybortion,

Welcome to the Community.

Sorry to hear about your trouble with receiving your refund. You should see these funds credited to your payment card within 2-7 business days. However, the timeline to post the pending transaction and complete the refund is ultimately up to the card-issuing bank.

Have you contacted your bank?

Message 42 of 42