x

Self Managed Super Fund... and where's live help?

Need a merchant facility to take payments for our holiday let. Square reader looked like a good fit. Holiday let belongs to our SMSF. When entering a/c details the following response:

Thank you for your interest.

We do not currently support your selected business type for payment processing. We will contact you once your business type is supported. In the meantime, Square can work as your point-of-sale solution. You can record sales, manage inventory, run powerful sales reports and analytics, send digital receipts and more. 

This suggests it can still work as a POS solution which is something of a contradiction to the first sentence?? When you buy your reader nowhere does it suggest it might NOT work with all account types. I try and get to Square Australia support and where it suggests you can contact them by phone or email there is no link to actually get any 'live' support?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Hi @Airlie,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear your organisation is having trouble signing up with Square! At the moment the ABNs we are able to onboard for payments are:

Individual/Sole Trader
Partnerships
Companies
Trusts

We unfortunately have no plans to support superannuation fund ABNs for card payment processing. You could definitely get one of the above ABNs though, and run your holiday let as a seperate business.

To clarify the difference between Square Payments and Square Point of Sale:

Point of Sale software and merchant terminals for card payments are traditionally two seperate products that would be supplied by seperate companies, both playing different roles in helping run a business. Square combines both of these into one - a merchant processing facility that pairs with a free Point of Sale app.

If your end goal is to just take card payments, unfortunately Square won't be the right solution for you.

Outside of card payment processing, Square's Point of Sale app is software you can use to run your business, record cash sales, even manually record payments made on a different merchant processing terminal. This functionality will still be available to you should you wish to use it. Some businesses use Square's Point of Sale app to help run their business without using Square as a card payment processor.

This may not be relevant for you if you're only looking to take card payments, however that's what is meant by using Square as a Point of Sale solution, vs a card payment processor. I hope this clears things up and sorry we can't be of more help here!

To get in touch with support you can call on 1800 760 137 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time), or contact us via online chat or email:

1. Sign in to your Square account

2. Head to our contact page https://squareup.com/help/au/en/contact

3. Go to "Other"" then "I don't see my issue"

4. Click "Message us" or "Email us"port

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2