x

Yet Another Fail in identity checking

I know I'm not in Experian's credit files because they sent me a No Match Found Report 4 months ago.

So to sign up to Square I tried checking my identity with government resources by using my passport, my Medicare card and my driver license. Nothing worked! And the process leaves me totally in the dark as for why it fails - so I can't fix it.

My first name is 2 words, my family name another 2 words, and I have no middle name. This seems to cause some confusion in government documents, and yet they manage to deal with it - so this is the first time I have a problem that seems related to that. Now my suspicion is that actually government bureaucrats of all levels deal with this better than Square??

In my Medicare card I have no "Middle Initial", so maybe that is a reason why it failed?

My driver license seems to consider the 2nd word in my first name to be my middle name. But this is not noticeable in the card, I had to deduce it from government websites - though again, not a problem for them!

My passport - why would it fail?

Addressing Square's own unhelpful help: I haven't changed my name ever; my name has no apostrophes/hyphens/typos, either in Square's form or in my documents; I haven't moved address in the last 2+ years.

For my 4th verification attempt, I tried enabling the checkbox for credit files, which also failed, as expected.

Now I'm locked out. And I see other threads in here in which people got canned responses about credit registers and maybe a few more tries after contacting support. Great, to keep trying poking in the dark until locked again?

And the official "support topics" don't even mention Experian/Equifax.

I'll be contacting support now (and re-checking non-Square solutions), but yeah, the client experience is being not-great from step 0. So I'm leaving this as a note for others.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Having the same problem. I even have only 1 name and 1 surname. Didn't ever changed at all. Tried all the documents and still not working. No solution and no answer for my questions at all.

Message 2 of 4

FWIW, Stripe asked for a pic of my driver licence and I was activated in hours. Happy camper there.

Message 3 of 4

By the way, looks like I forgot to post about the useless answer I got from Square's support! They just sent me a canned response telling me to re-check their help article ("are there typos in your name?"), and to try again via phone. Nah.

Message 4 of 4