x
Developer

API charge description

Transactions are showing at the bank as "SERVICE TRANSACTION" verus either my business name or location name or a description of services for the charge.

How can this be adjusted so that Amex and others don't flag as potential fraud and so it's more meaningful to the customers?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Alumni

Hmm, That is weird! Could you post a screenshot of a transaction like that? Similar to when you buy something from a square merchant in person, API purchases should appear on credit card statements like "SQ* BUSINESS NAME". Is it possible that you've mixed up the transactions, or that wherever you are viewing the transactions is renaming them? 

Message 2 of 7
Developer

Unfortunately, I don't have the transaction itself.  It was reported to me by a customer because the card was declined and Amex called them to verify/authororize the transaction..  I then had to resubmit.

Amex told my customer that it came through as "SERVICE TRANSACTION".  Like you say, I would have expected it to either be my business name or business name + location.

Not quite sure what you mean by mixed up the transactions....

Message 3 of 7
Alumni

Gotcha, I wasn't sure of the context. Sometimes when customers are looking through their statements at the end of the month, they can mix up transactions of similar values or dates and get confused. In this case it seems like AMEX is just reporting a generic name instead of the names that we are giving them. Sorry for the hassle! 

Message 4 of 7
Developer

Did you ever find a solution to this? We are using the ecommerce checkout endpoint for accepting online payments and AMEX customers are getting declined cards due to the name showing up as "SERVICE TRANSACTION".

Message 5 of 7
Developer

No real solution other than ensuring that the location name and nickname are both set.  I have not seen reoccurance, but don't get a lot of Amex transactions....

Message 6 of 7
Developer

Great - thanks for the response!  Maybe I just got very unlucky that my first transaction that I tried in the live site happened to get declined.

Message 7 of 7