x

Add Discounts Do Apply For This Item

I've worked with POS for 10 years. I love the simplicity of square but it's mind boggling that some of the simplest most basic and  needed features are missing.

We have multiple types of item categories. Books, gifts, consignment items, pastries. 

Here's the issue:

As a user I have different items that can all be placed in my cart, but certain items such consignment items and pastries will never receive a discount.

As a user I add a book, a consignment item, a pastry, and a gift to the order. Then I select the 20% percent discount, as I user I expect that the discount should only apply to the book and the gift item. The pastry item and the consignment item will remain at full price.

This can be resolved by one of two ways:

1. On the Items screens you have a discount section that lists all available discounts. A check mark means that they discount applies to that item, and a discount that is unchecked means that the discount doesn't apply to that item.

2. On the discounts sections you can add an "items" sections:

- You can have a checkbox that says "This discount applies to all items"

- You can have a checkbox that says "This discount applies to certain items and categories"

a) If you select "discount applies to certain items and categories" You can enter the SKU, item, or you can enter an entire category

b) You can add multiple items and categories to this list.

This is how it's been done in other POS industries. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey @jamesbcolvin

Welcome to the Community! 

Thank you so much for you post. On your Dashboard - you can add a discount for specific items when setting it up. 

If you're looking to apply a Coupon in your Online Store, it would be similar. There is an option to create coupons for a specific item too. Go to your Online Store dashboard > Settings > Coupon. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 8

That’s not what I’m look for.

I’m look to EXCLUDE discounts from items. 

As in item XYZ it not eligible for the 20% discount when the 20% discount is applied at checkout and XYZ item is in the cart. 

I want to be able to Add All the items to a cart I want, enter a discount, and only the items that QUALIFY for the discount are reduced. 

why is it this so hard to understand? 

Message 3 of 8
Square Community Moderator

@jamesbcolvin

If you leave the items you wish to exclude from the discount, then they will not be discounted. 

When you're setting up the discount or coupon, there is the option to add multiple items to it. That way the items not added to the discount will not be discounted. It's similar to what you're asking, but a different route. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 8

Nope. That’s not how I want it to work at all!

i went to automatic discount and chose a category and now it discounts the item for everyone.

how hard is is to understand?

This discount if for SPECIFIC people. In the case people who have a bookclub membership. If they are in a bookclub they get 10% off a book purchase. They don’t receive discounts on novelty items, and Joe Blow off the street doesn’t get the discount.

think of bed bath and behind. You get a coupon for 20% off your purchase but it excludes kitchen aid products. If you go to the cash register with sheets, a current rod, and a kitchen aid you only get the discount off the sheet and the curtain rod. If you don’t have the coupon you don’t get a discount at all. 

I have employees, I need to control the discounts so they cant apply discounts to item that shouldn’t  be discounted. 

Message 5 of 8

Hi Kassi!! 

I think what he's attempting to get across (albeit in an extremely rude way) is that he'd like an option to discount (or remove a discount) from certain items on an invoice... but that this discount might not always apply, so creating an auto-discount for that item wouldn't work. (hopefully that made sense.. LOL!!) 

In my specific case, a client ordered a group of 16 shirts for a family reunion which will all have the exact same design.  I am applying a $2 multi-item discount to each of these items, however, she also ordered 3 other t-shirts that are not related to the family reunion bundle & will not receive the $2 discount.  When I click "customize" on an invoice line item, there's a Discount section, but the only option is 10%.  I created a $2 discount in the ITEMS section, but I'm not sure how to make it show up in the line item customization area.  For my particular business, being able to select a discount within each line item would be most ideal, as I hardly ever apply a blanket discount to an entire invoice... but I do frequently need to apply multiple (different) discounts to multiple line items ($1 off for 5-10 items, $2 off for >10 items, etc).  

Below, the BOLD items are part of a large group that should all receive a $2 discount.  The single toddler shirt is an unrelated one-off, so it is full price.  And the items in ITALICS are part of a small group which should only receive $1 off... but this is all for the same client.  (I know... we small business folks can be a little unhinged & demanding.  LOL!!)
Example Invoice Scenario: 
Line 1:  Youth SM   Qty 2  ($2 off)
Line 2:  Youth MD  Qty 4  ($2 off)
Line 3:  Youth LG   Qty 2  ($2 off)
Line 4:  Adult SM   Qty 1   ($2 off)
Line 5:  Adult MD   Qty 3  ($2 off)
Line 6:  Adult LG    Qty 4  ($2 off)
Line 7:  Toddler 3T Qty 1 (no discount)
Line 8:  Adult XL    Qty 2 ($1 discount)
Line 9:  Adult LG    Qty 3 ($1 discount)

Is it possible to customize the Discount section that shows on the Invoice Line Item?  

Thanks for your time!! 

Cathy

Message 6 of 8

What Cathy is suggesting, in her condescending manner, is not what I’m talking about .

I simply want to exclude items from a discount.

when you hit the discount button on the dashboard, it applies the discount to every item.  

I want to be able to hit discount and have it apply to items that accept that discount.

If it doesn’t accept that discount, it stays at the retail price. 

20% off books doesn’t mean 20% off socks as well.

I only want my associates to be able to apply discounts to items that are allowed, and I don’t want the discounts applied automatically because the discount isn’t for every customer. 

Period. 

Message 7 of 8
Beta Member

I can understand your frustration with this issue. It’s kind of mind boggling how we are not able to exclude certain items from being discounted.

At my boba tea shop, we offer student discounts (10%) on drinks but not on food items. So if a student comes in and buys multiple food items and multiple drinks on one ticket, my employees will have to edit each food item to remove the discount that was applied. It’s pretty frustrating and time consuming.

Message 8 of 8