x

Can I develop a mobile ordering app integrated with Square?

want to develop an android app that allows customers to order food and process payment using credit card inside the app. It should be integrated with POS system.

am I able to do this using only Square API?

the mail functionality:

1. Get menu from square online store

2. Create an order

3. process payment using a credit card. (i see you have a solution like Payment form but it is only for web, so is this possible with Transaction API inside the app?)

4. Loyalty API? i found an old post https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Custom-restaurant-app-that-works-with-Square/m... do not see any updates. Is this available now?

is should be fully integrated with POS and order will be visible there and marked like "order from mobile app".

Message 1 of 19
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

I'm dropping in to introduce some tools that have been made available in the past two years that could help with this!

It's likely that you've already found these by taking a look at our API documentation, but I wanted to be sure to highlight this information here in this thread. We do now offer In-App Payments SDK, which would allow you to retrieve catalog items ("menu"). You can also use this SDK to create an order and process the payment with a credit card.

Additionally, there is also now a Loyalty API that you can use to add points to your customer's account. Lastly - if done correctly, you can push the order to a Square Point of Sale (learn more here). An important note: The above scenario does not allow for a customer to pay in-person. This is solely for allowing customers to order and pay ahead.

I hope this post is helpful for those of you looking to use Square's APIs in these ways! 

If you run into any roadblocks, you can contact Square Developer Support right here.

Feel free to also join our developer Slack channel, or ask for help on Stack Overflow.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 14 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Admin

Hello @yuripopiv! At this time this functionalilty isn't available with Square's APIs. I've shared your request with the API Team. 

If anything changes and it is possible to build an app like this we'll announce it and update the Square API documentation.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 19

Hello @Helen! I want to develop something like Shake Shack with the ability to get a menu from my Square online shop, create order and process payment online using the credit card. Also, Syncs with Square Loyalty will be a plus.

What functionality exactly isn't available?

Message 3 of 19
Admin

It sounds like an interesting app @yuripopiv! It's not possible to use Square's APIs to process in-app payments, and there isn't a Loyalty API yet. We'll share any updates as soon as they're available.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 19

Hi @yuripopiv! There is a great mobile ordering solution that is now fully integrated with Square and will be on the Vendors page soon, Ordrslip.com    

Ordrslip builds custom mobile ordering apps for restaurants at a very affordable price. It only costs $1,000 to build your restaurants branded app that would then be available to your customers via the Google Play Store and Apples App Store. After the app is live, there is a $150 per month fee to maintain and host the app. Most can apps can be built in 30 days and if you have more than one location, that has the same menu, the fee to build is still just the $1,000 build for all the locations! Each location would pay the $150 per month subscription fee.

Example:  4 locations, same menu      A one time $1,000 build fee for all 4 locations      $150 per month, per location subsrciption fee

Everyone is going mobile! Let Ordrslip get you on the road to mobility

Should you want more information, please dont hesitate to contact me  Charlene@ordrslip.com

Message 5 of 19

Hello Helen,

This is still currently an issue for my business along with others.  Square has kicked some many features down the road that we were promised when I signed up.  We have processed a lot with square.  We need this feature and some answers on this. It's 2020 and covid19 is greatly effecting us. Please reply.

T

Chris

Message 6 of 19
Super Seller Alumni

Hi Chris,

Were you able to come up with any solution. I too am looking to build my own app! Thanks!

Message 7 of 19
Beta Member

Hi there YuriPopiv! Are you looking to make this Android App yourself or have someone make it for you? Also, just Android? iOS Users account for 65% of all App Users. Just checking because we are a Square Partner (a new one) and have some insight into this! Thanks!

GetPreOrder.com, Official Square Partner - Create a $250K custom SuperSite for Square free. https://getpreorder.com/supersites
Message 8 of 19
Developer

Hello,

I wanted to point out the https://poppinpay.com/ is partnered with Square and is a mobile order ahead app solution that integrates with Square. It's important to also note that this is a branded (to your business) native mobile app for both Android and iOS. Any changes made to your Square POS update directly to your mobile order ahead app (being that it is integrated). Your Square menu will reflect on your mobile order ahead app, payment can also be made, and if you have a Square printer it will also print tickets (with notifications to your Square POS). Please reach out to them for more information as I think this will accomodate many of your needs. I hope this helps!

Message 9 of 19
Beta Member

This reply was created from merging an existing thread:  PoppinPay & Addresses

@caferaik Anything in the works to allow/help PP capture an address. It would work smoothly for delivery w/ that 1 feature.

thx

Message 10 of 19
Super Seller

Message 11 of 19

There is a great mobile ordering solution that is now fully integrated with Square and will be on the Vendors page soon, Ordrslip.com    

Ordrslip builds custom mobile ordering apps for restaurants at a very affordable price. It only costs $1,000 to build your restaurants branded app that would then be available to your customers via the Google Play Store and Apples App Store. After the app is live, there is a $150 per month fee to maintain and host the app. Most can apps can be built in 30 days and if you have more than one location, that has the same menu, the fee to build is still just the $1,000 build for all the locations! Each location would pay the $150 per month subscription fee.

Example:  4 locations, same menu      A one time $1,000 build fee for all 4 locations      $150 per month, per location subsrciption fee

Everyone is going mobile! Let Ordrslip get you on the road to mobility

Should you want more information, please dont hesitate to contact me  Charlene@ordrslip.com

Message 12 of 19
Super Seller Alumni

This is completely agreeable. How can we not develop our own apps with Square yet. I'm not sure why there are not features for it considering other parties can do it. 

@yuripopiv did you find any new info out?

Message 13 of 19
Alumni

Best Answer

I'm dropping in to introduce some tools that have been made available in the past two years that could help with this!

It's likely that you've already found these by taking a look at our API documentation, but I wanted to be sure to highlight this information here in this thread. We do now offer In-App Payments SDK, which would allow you to retrieve catalog items ("menu"). You can also use this SDK to create an order and process the payment with a credit card.

Additionally, there is also now a Loyalty API that you can use to add points to your customer's account. Lastly - if done correctly, you can push the order to a Square Point of Sale (learn more here). An important note: The above scenario does not allow for a customer to pay in-person. This is solely for allowing customers to order and pay ahead.

I hope this post is helpful for those of you looking to use Square's APIs in these ways! 

If you run into any roadblocks, you can contact Square Developer Support right here.

Feel free to also join our developer Slack channel, or ask for help on Stack Overflow.

Valentina
Message 14 of 19

How would you one retrieve catalog items from a menu via the in app payments sdk?

Message 15 of 19

hi Valentina, it's a very interesting topic, we are definitely interested in utilizing your API's for the mobile apps.

You're saying "We do now offer In-App Payments SDK, which would allow you to retrieve catalog items ("menu"). "

Can you please elaborate on how it would work, haven't seen anything that mentions the catalog retrieval in the API documentation.

Message 16 of 19
Alumni

Is this what you're looking for, @greentaste?

If not, let me know so I can dig in a bit more and help point you in the right direction here! 

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Message 17 of 19

Yes that should work for pulling the catalog in the app, thank you. I've been reading through the documentation on app development, looks like an order-ahead app with in-app payments should be possible

Message 18 of 19
Alumni

Wonderful! 

Let us know if other questions come up, @greentaste 🌱 

You can find additional API support through our Square Developer Forums, by submitting a contact form to our Developer Support team, or reaching out to us via a private message on to the @SquareDev handle on Twitter.

Valentina
Message 19 of 19