x
Developer

Can I get a ticket's order # (or manually entered name) via the API?

For our cafe we enter the customer's name as a manual order number so that it is shown on a ticket printed in the kitchen. Is this data available in the API? I have been using V1/V2 and have been unable to find it. Currently I am using V1 "payments" endpoint to gather details about the order and items purchased. 

We are creating an order management app to help improve customer service. It would be very beneficial to us to have this information so it can be displayed and used as an identifier for the order.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Alumni

Thanks for the feedback! If you've looked at the v1 & v2 APIs without success, then it must not be offered yet. You can't really use the API to create orders as of today. 

Message 2 of 4
Developer

Thanks for the reply. Let me clarify - we are placing orders through the Square point of sale app and using the API to load/display the order details. This works fine - it's just the "order name" which is shown on the printed out ticket is ommitted in the API response.

Is there a reason this data is ommitted? Without this, it's difficult (or impossible) to associate customers to a payment. Our goal is to deliver the customer food & drinks simply by looking at the order details which contains the ticket name and items.

Message 3 of 4
Alumni

Thanks for the feedback! We know the experience isn't perfect for every use case yet, but we are definitely working on improving it. Other people have used our Point of Sale APIs to customize their order flow so that they can more easily associate any arbitrary meta data with transactions. Would that be a solution? 

Message 4 of 4