x

Can I per authorize card with API and charge them later ?

I am working on a project where customer adds card for the services they book. I want to to pre auth the cards to hold the amount few days earlier from the booking to make sure that I am getting paid after job. I searched for it and found that it is possible with following API

https://developer.squareup.com/docs/payments-api/overview

I have not integrated it yet so not sure if it works the way I want, can anyone help me with this

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Alumni

Hi @vikramsingh Thanks for posting. 

You'll need to work directly with a web developer to help set up the API. If there are any specific questions that your developer needs answered about the integration, feel free to reply with those details so we can loop in our API Team. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

Hi Justin,

A developer is already working on API integration and she figured out the way to hold the card with square payment API. However it seems that the square support team does not have the knowledge about API and features, I checked with them multiple times for this feature and they every time they updates that this is not possible for now with square.

following is the last reply I got from them

Thanks for reaching out to Square.

Currently, Square doesn’t offer support for pre-authorizing cards or collecting security deposits. Additionally, sign and tip on printed receipts cannot be used for pre-authorization. This feature is meant to allow your customers to tip after their cards have been charged. These transactions must be settled within 36 hours of the card being charged.

I checked the API documentation and it is clearly mentioned that card pre-auth is possible with autocomplete = false 

https://developer.squareup.com/docs/payments-api/overview

It is nowhere mentioned that this API is deprecated or remove and even it seems to be the latest version.

Not sure what is the confusion but support team need to check the resources before replying.

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

@vikramsingh the Support Team is not the API team. Please ask to talk to the API Support Team before asking API related questions. Pre authorization is not something that is supported by the Point of Sale app. That is why you received that response. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4