x
Beta Member

Can you adjust the sound for online order notifications?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Online Order Notification not loud enough]

The online order notification chime cannot be adjusted loud enough by ipad or register for a noisy location.  The sound cannot be bluetooth enabled so you can adjust the sound yourself.  (Believe me - Try it, the chime sound cannot be enabled through a bluetooth speaker).

Several comments and requests have been made to have this feature accommodate larger store use.  What you offer now is only for a small, quiet area.  If it was possible to bluetooth enable the notification sound, the problem would be solved for everyone.

Thank you......

Message 1 of 24
1 Verified Answer
JJ_
Verified Answer

Re: Can you adjust the sound for online order notifications?

Hello @cupajoes!

There was a a recent update to the Square Point of Sale application that now has notifications running via Push Notifications on iOS (previously notification were triggered by the app only) and should play louder if the volume of the device is louder as well. 

We recommend checking to make sure that your app is up-to-date. If everything looks good there, you'll want to reach out.

If you haven't already, your best bet is to get in touch with us directly, so that a member of our team can dig in with you. When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

23 REPLIES 23
Beta Member

I used to have a Square stand with iPad.  The iPad connected to my Bluetooth speakers in the store.  iPad played music in the store and when there was an online order, I could hear the notification from the speaker.  It’s loud and my music would stop.  

However, after I switched to Square register, the notification sound is very quiet.  Even I adjusted to the loudest, I still can’t here it if I’m not in front of the Square Registe.  We missed several orders and only know that when customers show up.  Is there any way I can make the volume even louder?  It should be the same volume as the Ubereats or Doordash tablet order notifications that I can hear it from 20 feet away.

Message 2 of 24
Beta Member

Following up -- has there been any activity on this bug (lack of feature) request?

With the iPad volume at the highest setting, an employee 2 feet away from the device in the Square Stand cannot hear the chime well.  The Square Stand blocks the sound, but it's too soft of a chime to begin with.

We need to be able to change the ringtone sound.  Like another poster said, the Uber/Doordash ones should be used as a comparison for the programming team.

@Alex_ 

Message 3 of 24
Beta Member

We have recently installed square KDS in our kitchen.  It has a notification sound, but it is very quiet.  Of course, we have the ipad volume all of the way up and we even purchased a high quality bluetooth speaker.  But the sound is still very quiet.  Basically inaudible in a kitchen environment.  Other apps on the ipad make loud sounds so it is definitely not an issue with the ipad. Suggestions?  Workarounds?  

Message 4 of 24
Alumni

This would also depend on how loud the volume on your iPad is able to reach, and how loud your environment is.

Have you checked to ensure you are running the latest version of the Square Point of Sale update?
And that the software on your iPad is up-to-date, @JulieO1?

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 24
Beta Member

It is the KDS that is not making a loud enough sound and we just installed it a week ago, so I would guess it has to be the latest version.  But yes, we are also running the latest version of Square on our POS.  

Message 6 of 24
Alumni

Hello @JackieCardin1,

We definitely see how this could benefit your business model. Our teams are constantly looking through our seller's feedback to make necessary improvements, and we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 7 of 24
Beta Member

I appreciate that you will notify me when the online notification sound becomes bluetooth enabled as a feature.  I cannot roll out online ordering in my two restaurants until we know there is a loud way to know we have received an order

Message 8 of 24

No, they're not looking into it.

We started accepting online order 6-7 years ago and told Square we need  LOUD sound back then and about 3 times ever since. We started using delivery platforms during the pandemic and they figured it out. I told Square we need a sound that loud so we KNOW WHEN ORDERS COME IN. Not when the customer gets there to pick up their order that should be ready. It's embarrassing, yet every day, doordash orders come in and we make them. Square online orders come in, but we only know about them if we're standing in front of the iPad, about 10-20% of the time.  

To iterate: It's been 6-7 years and this problem hasn't been solved.

I know it's controlled by the iPad volume, which is all the way up. I also know I can switch it to automatically print receipts. Again, this is NOT HELPFUL if we are at the food station or in back prepping food or washing dishes!!!

Message 9 of 24

Adding to this thread as we would also like to request this feature. The notification sound for incoming online orders are extremely quiet on the square register. Please add a louder ringtone sound so we can actually hear when orders come in or have the ringtone keep ringing until the notification is accepted.

Message 10 of 24
Beta Member

i’m not sure why Square is not interested in adding a louder notification sound but it has been a request from almost the beginning of square online.  However I have discovered that for a fee, there are third party developers that will.  They are listed in the app section of squareup.  I personally use and would recommend Kyoo.  They send an email for each order that comes in.  When the email is received by the store, the push mail app goes off with a loud sound through a bluetooth speaker and we are in business.  I have more than one location and they have worked that out too.  Cost is .25 per transaction that the customer pays through Square.  We don't get charged.  I should note as well that they have a very nice interface that you can setup to interact with Square.  They import all your data so there is no additional inputting.  I use their website link on our own website page where it says "order online now".  Works nicely!  By the way, I am not affiliated in anyway with Kyoo.  Just a satisfied Kyoo customer who was responsive and they fixed my problem 

Message 11 of 24
Beta Member

We have given up on "hearing" online orders.  We installed a printer to "receive" our online orders.  The sound of the printer printing is our notification.  It is silly that something as simple as a sound notification makes you want to abandon Square and seek another POS and online platform, but it is maddening to spend your day trying to figure out how to figure whether or not you have orders! 

Message 12 of 24
Square Community Moderator

Hello @JulieO1 👋 

Square recently switched Order notifications to be managed at the iPad level meaning that the volume of the notification is subject to the volume on the iPad. Our team is working on improving this. 

In the meantime I have seen Sellers using a bluetooth speaker to be able to hear notifications louder. I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Message 13 of 24

can you connect a speaker to square register?

Message 14 of 24

Hello, @Arod and welcome to the Seller Community. 

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Square Register. At this time the Square Register doesn't support connecting a speaker to it. I know you mentioned looking for other POS, however, I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Message 15 of 24

We spent $800 and have been open two days, and are already POS shopping, this is a HUGE deal for restaurant not being able to hear orders. Its not like we can just grab a widget off the shelf and say here you go when customer shows up. WE NEED that lead time, and we NEED to know orders are coming in.....How do yo install a printer to receive online orders? We need a fix and fast!

Message 16 of 24

The order notification sound is too low for my cafe, so I am missing out on orders.  Cafe's are already loud with customers, music etc. Has anyone come across how to make the order received sound LOUD?

🙂

Message 17 of 24

Hello @cupajoes!

There was a a recent update to the Square Point of Sale application that now has notifications running via Push Notifications on iOS (previously notification were triggered by the app only) and should play louder if the volume of the device is louder as well. 

We recommend checking to make sure that your app is up-to-date. If everything looks good there, you'll want to reach out.

If you haven't already, your best bet is to get in touch with us directly, so that a member of our team can dig in with you. When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

JJ
Message 18 of 24
Beta Member

JJ_, The "new" notification sound is still very low and unless you work in a quiet environment, it is woefully inadequate.  Glad to hear Square is still working on the options. 

Message 19 of 24
Beta Member

JJ_ And to clarify, this is the sound for the online ordering.  The sound for the KDS system is still basically nonexistent and not able to be adjusted. This is a sincere challenge for any kitchen environment unless you want to post a team member to stand at the KDS to "watch" for incoming orders. 

Message 20 of 24

Thanks for the feedback. Most kitchens do have a member that starts the process and is actively looking at the KDS for incoming orders. But I can see how it would be convenient to be able to adjust the volume for our notifications. Like you said so yourself our team continues to work on improving these features. 

JJ
Message 21 of 24