x

Event Based Transaction Tagging - Custom POS

We travel the country and sell at events. We may have 10 events going on at a time. We have a custom POS that our customers place their orders in.  We are in the process of switching everything to Square for CC processing using the Web SDK.  

My issue is, there are times when we are selling ad-hoc just using the Square Terminal or POS on an iphone/ipad.

How do I tag each transaction so when my POS consumes the webhook from Square I know which event it is coming from. I cannot trust my staff to enter the "eventID" for every transaction. I am trying to brainstorm some ways around this.

I have looked at the Square Terminal SDK, and this is an option, but I need to be able to make sure I can do offline transactions, so I want to be able to use the Terminal, iphone/ipad directly.

Other thoughts we had, were to set the location the device is using in our POS to track transactions coming in that way.  Or maybe setup in our POS the event to point to the IDs of the devices we are using.

Another thought...  could we generate deviceIDs for each Event?  So for every event we tie a new DeviceID that we know belongs to that event.  At the end of the event we disable the ids and generate new ones...

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Beta Member

I see this post is a few months old, maybe you've figured it out by now.

I'm not sure I'm totally understanding the situation.

Are you taking orders through square and transferring the information to another POS service?

If so, I'm just curious what it does that square can't do for you?

Without knowing your custom POS, what I would recommend using square is to create a different Location for each event. Do you repeat the same locations for some events?

The reason I would do a new location each time is to make it easier to separate your sales and if taxes are different in one location vs others you can easily set the tax for each. From your square dashboard you can easily sort by location for transactions and reports. However, you have to connect your bank account to each new location... 

On newer devices, it's easy to go under your settings and switch locations rather than having to create device codes and log each one in for every event. 

Another option you could do is to utilize the dining options and set the default dining option for the specific event. You would then have to create a new dining option for each event, or edit the existing one with the new info. And you have to remember to set the default option for each event. I doubt your employees will think to select the correct one. This option would keep all your sales under one location, but you can run reports for dining options which would filter out each event.

Message 2 of 2