x

Force Update to Software?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original - "iOS 9"

I received the email that my if I don’t update my iPad to iOS 10 by Jan 14, 2020 that it won’t work properly anymore. Is square trying to force me to buy a new iPad or terminal from them? Did anyone else get this “do not reply” email? I’m not able to find anything online about it either. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @UST. Thanks for taking the time to reach out here on the Seller Community! We are happy to have you.

Thanks for letting us know about your email. We periodically send out courtesy advisement emails to our Merchants who are running an older software version to ensure that you don't encounter any unforeseen issues with using Point of Sale for your business. Usually, these types of warnings are not an indication that you need new Hardware all-together, but rather that you simply need to update your iOS running software. iOS 10 would now be considered as a software minimum threshold for full functionality.

The current software you are using (iOS 9) was released in June of 2015, and iOS 10 the following year. Our software works in conjunction with Apple's latest software versions to fix issues, introduce new features, and make a more accessible product. 

If you are curious whether or not your current iPad is compatible with iOS 10, you can check here.

I hope this information is helpful! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2