x

How to I set up account for contract API developer?

We have contracted with a developer to use Square API to process payments via our website.  They need to access the API settings.  How do we set up a temporary account for them?  

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Welcome! Happy to hear about your interest in our API. Your developer can get their account started at https://squareup.com/developers

Additionally, you can find more FAQs in our Support Center. Hope that helps!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Square

Best Answer

Welcome! Happy to hear about your interest in our API. Your developer can get their account started at https://squareup.com/developers

Additionally, you can find more FAQs in our Support Center. Hope that helps!

Message 2 of 11

Can that developer be outside the US?

Message 3 of 11
Square

@btillc - Just checked with our developer folks, and they sure can! 👍

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 11

@Sean What do I need to do to get them setup?  Can they get a sandbox account?  Do I give them access to mine - not thrilled on that one.  Can they sign up for a complete account and a sandbox account?

Thanks!

-Doug

Message 5 of 11
Square

@btillc - Once they create their own Square Register account, then they'll be able to access the Square Developer Portal. For your second question, every Connect API application has a sandbox application ID and sandbox access token assigned to it. These credentials are available alongside your application's standard credentials in the application dashboard

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 6 of 11

Sean does that mean replacing the app ID and tokens from my account rather than the "Hired Developer's" account will do the trick to keep them out of my account?

Message 7 of 11
Square

@JustinW - Would you mind providing more details about what the API settings that your contracted developers want to access? App ids and tokens are used for us to know which merchant's data that you could access, so if the developer use their own app ids and tokens, they won't have the authorization to access the same data that you could access.

Message 8 of 11

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: my developer is asking for the application secret to set up square for my existing website/cart?

my developer is asking for the application secret to set up square for my existing website/ cart?

Message 9 of 11
Alumni

Hey @uni! Thanks for posting in the Community. Have you and your developer scanned through Square's developer guides?

Link up top ! 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 11

this is way too complicated.  Square should fix this.  This makes it hard for ecommerce folks to hire developers

Message 11 of 11