x

International availability of Square API to charge transaction fee

We have trouble charging transaction fee of payment with Square.
(By transaction fee, I mean if a seller got an $100 order on our app, we’d like to charge 5% from it, then we’ll get $5 and the seller will get $95. This $5 is our transaction fee)

I read this article and it seems that 
1. We can’t charge transaction fee for JPY. Because the app_fee_money parameter is not supported fro Japan.
2. If we want to charge transaction fee from sellers in US, UK, Australia, Canada, Ireland, we’ll need to create 5 accounts in these countries. 

Am I right about these issues?

If so, what material do we need to provide to create 5 accounts in these countries and make them able to take payments? Do we need 5 cards for 5 countries, or we can use one card and link it to the 5 accounts?
Is there any way to charge transaction fee for JPY, too?

You specifically mentioned that Australia users should read "the Product Disclosure Statement for the Payments API Application Fee (PAAF) service and the Financial Services Guide.” 
But I read this article and it seems same as the process to charge transaction fee for other currencies. Is there some difference between Australia and other countries?

My questions are a lot. Sorry about that. We are currently in development of Square integration. So I’m eagerly looking forward to your email. Hope you can help me with these questions. Thanks a lot!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Alumni

Hi there @hanjin 👋 

Cross-border card payments are unsupported. This means that card transactions attempted outside of the country where you activated your Square account can’t be processed with Square. You would need a US account to accept payments in the US, an Australian account to process payments in Australia, etc. This should help answer a lot of your questions above! Learn more here.

When you ask, "Do we need 5 cards for 5 countries, or we can use one card and link it to the 5 accounts?" - do you mean to ask about card readers or bank accounts rather than cards? I'm not sure what you're asking here - I'll keep my eyes peeled for your response!

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2