x

Is it possible to read the card info when swiped?

So i am developing a mobile application for a bank that requires me to authenticate user based on their card details (card number, exp date). I am wondering is it possible for me to use Square card reader to extract the details of card that was swiped.

I integrated the SDK to a sample app but found that it comes with whole package that helps you make a transaction/payment, but my aim is not to make a transaction but read card detils when swiped.

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @chandrachud - Our readers are built to encrypt any card information the moment it is swiped. Extracting card details with our readers would not be possible as we strive to keep all customer data secure.

Hope that helps clarify things for you!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @chandrachud - Our readers are built to encrypt any card information the moment it is swiped. Extracting card details with our readers would not be possible as we strive to keep all customer data secure.

Hope that helps clarify things for you!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 2 of 4

Hey i totally understand that the data would be encrypted. And thats how it should be. 

I was wondering though if we have any callback/notification when a card is swiped and maybe get a data object read by the square reader (in encrypted format).

or does the reader have a private api to communicate with iOS devices?

i tried playing around with AVAudioSession and catch data read by square reader through microphone but in Vain. Exploring the other readers that are connected via bluetooth.

thanks for you reply😊

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Hi again @chandrachud. At this time, the Reader SDK only allows a card to be read in order to process a payment. If this changes in future we'll definitely announce it! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 4