x
Highlighted

Is there a way to use Square's API for recurring payments?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Recurring payment API

Hi
I want to integrate SquareUp recurring payment to my website where I sell the subscriptions. Can you guys help me out how can i achieve it? I can't find any specific api where i can setup recurring invoices and charge automatically using card on the file (saved card).
There is topic in documentation but that is not much help.
https://docs.connect.squareup.com/articles/processing-recurring-payments-ruby?q=recurring

Here they have asked to:

1. Create customer
  2. Then save card on file (using nounce)
  3. Then charge

This is fine for one time payment but what about monthly subscription? How can we charge automatically and who will keep track of time interval (Monthly or yearly subscription)?

Thanks

Message 1 of 28
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Admin

Re: Is there a way to set up a reoccurring payment plugin like you do on the app on to your website?

Best Answer

Hello @theamericanfp. At the moment, automatic recurring payments are not available for Square's API.

The API team shared the following workaround: you could initiate manually recurring payments with Card on File. To get started: 

1. You will need to embed Square's payment form in your website.
  2. When your customer submits their payment information, if the information is valid, you will receive a number – which you can use to create payments (card nonce).
  3. Create a Customer with the CreateCustomer endpoint.
  4. Next, you'll create a CustomerCard with the card nonce using the CreateCustomerCard endpoint.

Once you finish, you can charge the customer at a future date using this CustomerCard number.

There's more information about setting up manually recurring payments in this Developer Doc. Or you could take a look at the Invoicing and Services Partnerships which might help! 

Helen
Seller Community Manager, Square
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Admin

Re: Recurring payment api

Sorry to keep you waiting @pankajsharma!

I checked in with our API team about this, and they confirmed that there isn't an API for recurring payments at this time. I'm sorry that the docs weren't useful—I've shared that feedback with our team!

In the meantime, if you haven't already, check out Stack Overflow. It's a great resource for developers working with Square's APIs.

Helen
Message 2 of 28
Highlighted

Any progress with this? I'd really like to use Square (through my weebly website) to create product subscriptions with automatic recurring payments (one 12 month or less cycles).

Message 3 of 28
Highlighted

I am also interested in this feature. Has there been any progress or plan to implement this?

Message 4 of 28
Highlighted
Alumni

Hi @kbuilds - No updates to share at this time, but we'll update this thread should we learn of any!

Message 5 of 28
Highlighted

Is there a way to set up a reoccurring payment plugin like you do on the app on to your website?

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Is there a way to set up a reoccurring payment plugin like you do on the app on to your website?

Is there a way to set up a reoccurring payment plugin like you do on the app on to your website?

Message 6 of 28
Highlighted
Admin

Re: Is there a way to set up a reoccurring payment plugin like you do on the app on to your website?

Best Answer

Hello @theamericanfp. At the moment, automatic recurring payments are not available for Square's API.

The API team shared the following workaround: you could initiate manually recurring payments with Card on File. To get started: 

1. You will need to embed Square's payment form in your website.
  2. When your customer submits their payment information, if the information is valid, you will receive a number – which you can use to create payments (card nonce).
  3. Create a Customer with the CreateCustomer endpoint.
  4. Next, you'll create a CustomerCard with the card nonce using the CreateCustomerCard endpoint.

Once you finish, you can charge the customer at a future date using this CustomerCard number.

There's more information about setting up manually recurring payments in this Developer Doc. Or you could take a look at the Invoicing and Services Partnerships which might help! 

Helen

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 28
Highlighted

I also would like to be able to set up recurring charges at checkout for a coffee subscription service we offer.  We use recurring invoicing but we have to email an invoice and instruct the customer to save card to file.  We need am option that allows customers to sign up for the subscription online.

Message 8 of 28
Highlighted
Admin

Thank you for adding your unique use-case to the conversation here, @FTGenesis ️ Solid and detailed examples like this are exactly what our teams look for when considering which features to build out! Keep your eyes here for updates from our team.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 28
Highlighted

Re: Is there a way to use Square's API for recurring payments?

Any new update one this? I'd really like to continue to use square as I expand my business, but I need this feature to do so.
Message 10 of 28