x

Is there a way to use Square's API for recurring payments?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Recurring payment API

Hi
I want to integrate SquareUp recurring payment to my website where I sell the subscriptions. Can you guys help me out how can i achieve it? I can't find any specific api where i can setup recurring invoices and charge automatically using card on the file (saved card).
There is topic in documentation but that is not much help.
https://docs.connect.squareup.com/articles/processing-recurring-payments-ruby?q=recurring

Here they have asked to:

1. Create customer
  2. Then save card on file (using nounce)
  3. Then charge

This is fine for one time payment but what about monthly subscription? How can we charge automatically and who will keep track of time interval (Monthly or yearly subscription)?

Thanks

Message 1 of 30
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @theamericanfp. At the moment, automatic recurring payments are not available for Square's API.

The API team shared the following workaround: you could initiate manually recurring payments with Card on File. To get started: 

1. You will need to embed Square's payment form in your website.
  2. When your customer submits their payment information, if the information is valid, you will receive a number – which you can use to create payments (card nonce).
  3. Create a Customer with the CreateCustomer endpoint.
  4. Next, you'll create a CustomerCard with the card nonce using the CreateCustomerCard endpoint.

Once you finish, you can charge the customer at a future date using this CustomerCard number.

There's more information about setting up manually recurring payments in this Developer Doc. Or you could take a look at the Invoicing and Services Partnerships which might help! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

In general being able to do anything with invoices would be greatly beneficial. Our business scenario is we want to display unpaid invoices to our customers, and wanted to allow our customers to pay for them through our website. we use both recurring and one time invoices but are only able to display paid invoices using the orders api. I found stripe which may end up pushing me that way if a solution isn’t found within a few months.

Message 22 of 30
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here, @StomnessPiano 👋 Happy to have you join us here. Always a pleasure to see new faces add their voice here on the Community.

API customization for Invoices is a long-standing Feature Request, and our Development and Products Teams are actively working towards bringing these capabilities into the fold. I appreciate you sharing how specifically these features would be able to benefit your business. Should anything come down the pipeline by way of news on this feature, we will update everyone promptly here on this thread.

Thanks, again! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 23 of 30

I have a website where we want to sell our products to our customers with quarterly auto payments. So, they order once and agree to a quarterly delivery of products, and we auto charge their card as we go. We use Wordpress, Woo Commerce and Square. How do I get this to work properly? 

Message 24 of 30
Admin

Hey there @mollyolioveto-

You'll see above on this thread tht automatic recurring payments aren't available with Square's API. But there's a workaround that might help you out!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 25 of 30
Beta Member

Checking in again (5 months since my last post, 3 years since the OP opened this thread) to see if there has been any progress on Recurring payments via the API.

We are missing out on securing donors and customers because Square does not have this option via the API. And with everything as it is right now during the COVID-19 era, our charity (and every business) needs to be able to secure all the donation / subscription / payment income they can.

Please consider fast-tracking this feature request for the benefit of all Square users 🙂 Thanks!

Message 26 of 30
Alumni

This is still a Feature Request at this time, @StThereseInst - thank you for dropping in here to give us examples of how this feature would be useful for your charity organization.

We'll be sure to post an update here when we have news to share!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 27 of 30

I cannot believe that after 3 years Square team still did not get around to implement this obviously highly requested feature. Moreover I am surprised it was not there without even requests from customers in the first place. This is a very basic feature and payment API cannot be considered complete without it. 

The workaround described here is really not a workaround. Basically it says " You want recurring payments ? Implement it yourself"

Message 28 of 30

Is there any news regarding the recurring payment features ?

We are currently working on Payment Integration with Square for One Time and Recurring but seems the only available is the One Time card payment method. 

Message 29 of 30

We implemented our own recurring payments using card on file. Since then square added this functionality. However as always "if you want it right do it yourself" i.e. I still think it is better do implement yourself to get  exactly what you need. For example when I looked at the offered implementation it was impossible to change the charged amount for example of what to do when a payment fail. 

In our case we integrate square payment with door lock controllers in the gym. Once a payment fails for some predefined time the corresponding client's key is blocked and they have to go to the management to resolve the payment issue and have their keys unblocked.

Message 30 of 30