x

Item ID Changing Across Locations

I am experiencing some potentially strange behavior. I have been writing an integration that rests on the fact that an item has one and only one ID, even when it is present in multiple locations. After testing with a subset of products on a seperate Square account/App, things were working smoothly. I have now pointed the integration at the "real" Square account/App, which contains the same subset of products in addition to others, and the integration is failing. It seems I have many items that now have a unique ID for each location. The item only displays once on the Square dashboard, but there are two unique IDs assocaited with it. In fact, I have one item that has two IDs, yet those IDs share a single variation ID.

I have also noticed two different formats of IDs, which I am assuming wouldn't be the problem, but is a bit odd nonetheless.

Format 1: XXxXxXXX-xxXX-XxXx-XXX-XXXxxxxxxxXX

Format 2: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I suppose the first question is, is this normal behavior? And if not, any thoughts on what might be causing it and is there a way out of it?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square

Hi @debernardi, it sounds like our API Team already helped you out with this one on Stack Overflow. More details here. 👍

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 8

Hi Sean,

We integrating our SAP system with Square using the Suqare connect API . The API will be used to create Items , Variations and Load inventory. For consistency across both the systems, the Item ID will be the same. We achieve this by passing the "id" attribute in the Create end point.  This works fine as long as the Item is created using the API on a day to day basis.

The problem is when we first setup the Square system, we plan to do an initial load of all the Items in our legacy system using the CSV template provided. But the template doesnot the the 'id" column and Square generated its own ID ( or Token) which will not be the same as Item ID in our SAP system.

Could you pelase advice how to resolve this issue ?

Regards,

Raj

Message 3 of 8
Alumni

You can't change the id of an item already in the system. 

I reccommend you either translate the ids in software, or recreate those items via the API. 

Hope that helps! 

Message 4 of 8

Sorry if my question was not clear. I dont want to change the ID of the item that is already there in the system.

I want to enter my own unique ID for the Items I want to create using the csv import .

I could do this using the API (by passing the "id" attribute during Item create operation) but not with csv import .

For Example if an Item ID is  ITEM12345 in SAP, I want to create the Item in Square with the same ID using csv import .

Message 5 of 8
Alumni

This functionality is not availabe in CSV import, but could be done if you added the items via API instead of the CSV import. Does that help? 

Message 6 of 8

Thanks for the response. We were planning to do an initial load of all the Items from our legacy system using csv template to Square and then use the APIs for any delta updates/changes. It would have been great if the Item ID was same in both systems making things efficient. 

Is it a limitation on your side that we cannot pass the Item ID with csv import or is there any other reason for this ? is there any plan to include this feature in the near future ? 

Message 7 of 8
Square

Hi @ConairIT. While I can't speak to whether this will be a feature option we have in the future, I'm happy to share the suggestion with our product liaison team. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 8 of 8