x

Square for Retail: I'm trying to print jewelry tags, is there a way to edit the size?

The title of this thread was updated from its original title: “I'm trying to print Jewelry tags, but the barcodes are too big. Is there a way to edit the size?”

We are trying to print Barbell tags for jewelry but the barcodes are printing to big and the layout is wrong. We are looking for a way to downsize and reposition the barcode on a Zebra LP2824 printer. 

Message 1 of 67
1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Smaller barcode labels

Hi @Jennifer321, welcome to the seller community and sorry for the delayed response.

I was able to run your post by our Retail Team and they are tracking this request, but we do not have a specific timeline for when a smaller barcode label may become available. I can certainly see how having a smaller label for jewelry is important for presentation and functionality. 

We will update this list as soon as more sizes are added: Create and Print Barcode Labels.

Please keep in touch and let me know if any other questions come up!

2 Best Answers
Super Seller

Best Answer

FYI, I don't have a Zebra printer, so I've been doing everything manually regarding printing barcodes. Once I decide on a simple SKU number for that item (and I've found small SKU numbers generate barcodes that scan better with my inkjet printer), I enter the SKU on a website that generates an image file of the barcode (from onlinelabels.com). I then place that barcode on a sheet in Indesign...(I used to be a graphic designer, so I'm used to working in pagelayout programs) and add prices. I copy and repeat as many as I need and print on my inkjet printer.

FOR JEWELRY, I make a small horizontal cardstock label with my logo, and affix the barcode label to the other side. I tie it around the necklace chain or ring. 

Hope this helps. I know this is a lot of manual work, but I couldn't invest in a label printer so this is my best work around.

View Best Answer >

Message 17 of 67
Beta Member

Best Answer

I just bought some blank labels online .875 x .5 inches

Also there was free barcode generating program at Amazon.

Most of the places you order these stickers for barcodes have free template or program to make your own and print.

So made and printed my own from normal inkjet printer and my square barcode and app reads it perfectly.

Actually I was able to squeeze in my store logo on the label too and looks pretty nice.

View Best Answer >

Message 31 of 67
66 REPLIES 66
Admin

Hello @Keris! At this time the ZD410 is the only Zebra printer that supports printing barcode labels with Square for Retail. As you're using the Zebra LP2824 printer this is likely what's causing the sizing issues. 

Zebra Support may be able to provide a workaround for you — in the meantime I'll send your request to use the this printer with Square for Retail with the team.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 67

Is there a way to  print on Zebra tags 8000T with the supported printer?  It is a barbell style tag 2 3/16 by 1/2

Message 3 of 67
Admin

@Keris Currently you can only print the following labels from the supported printer, ZD410. 

I'll share your request to be able to print the Zebra labels 8000T with our Retail and Hardware teams. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 67

Hello Keris,

I am too in the same predicament as yourself being a jewelry store owner wanting to convert to square. I was wondering if you found a solution to the tag problem, as this is a main reason I havent switched over yet. I can't seem to get a straight answer other than reading this thread. 

Thank you

AP

Message 5 of 67
Alumni

Hey @Keris@BBTony@OptionalArt, and @Helen - 

I have used barbell labels in the past. I like that barbell labels are small and more discreet. Now, I use Square for Retail to print barcodes for my business - even jewelry and small accessories which make up ~20% of my sales.

To label jewelry and small accessories, I use marketing tags like these and affix the barcode label to the back. These give me more merchandising options and become a marketing takeaway for my customers!

Message 6 of 67
Beta Member

Hi I also need support for thermal transfer labels rat tail style. A label designer built into square would solve this problem. We are smart enough to place the fields on the size of label we need. Have it we can adjust to font style and size. Come on Square I want to use you but I can’t without custom labels and support for thermal transfer printer. 

also I would love to have support to add MSRP price and sale price to label. 

these two features I need for our jewelry store 

if anyone has a work around please let me know. 

Message 7 of 67

Did you ever figure out a way to add MSRP to the label?

Message 8 of 67
Beta Member

yes, but it is not with square. 

Message 9 of 67

On This I wanted to check if the LP 2824 printer still are not supported by square for retail?
It seems to send the info because the light blinks on our printer but then nothing is actually printing from the zebra printer. 
If these printers do not work, what would you recommend we get?

Thanks for your help!

Jess Fisher 

Message 10 of 67
Super Seller

Even though a printer is NOT supported by Square for Retail, you should be able to use it with the manufactures drivers and a regular computer.  The only issue here is you cannot use Square to automatically assign the value for your Barcode unless the software you use with your printer can print from a CSV file.   I use the Zebra 410 printers and have them connected to a computer not to Square and print out all my own barcode labels, regular labels, barcode, Aztec, QR and even Barbell labels.

Here is a link to a article I had best answer to in the forum with an image of a Barbell Label I did.

Check the Best Answer 

When I was first trying out different barcode compatibility with Square, I would just use my home printer and print out test barcodes on regular paper.  Some barcodes worked others my scanner read but did not recognize.   Then before I printed them out I I would scan my computer screen to see if the scanner could read the barcode.  If this worked then I printed one out to rest on my regular office / home printer.  If they worked on the screen they worked from my printer.  My point here is that if you take the time to set your Barcodes up in your Label Printers software and save them when you make your items, You can just open the label software and tell it to print however many labels of the item you need.

As you can tell I make candles, I have 144 scents currently in 1 size and 4 jar sizes, Votives, wax melts, and Pillars in 10 sizes.  I have my labels with barcodes in folders by type size of candles etc, then they are listed in alphabetical order.  So if I make 50 Jar candles in Pumpkin Patch in or 28oz size.  I open the Labels folder- 28oz jars- then the scent.  Hit the print button and then fill in the quantity required.   I also have "Template" ones for if I come out with a new scent, some scents need 2 lines others require one line of text, but I have 2 templates setup that I just open the correct size label and fill in the scents for the Barcode and the actual Jar Label.  In the next link if you scroll to message 4 of 6 you can see my 28oz Jar label with the scent "Macintosh Apple"and my Aztec barcode.  The Barcode in the Picture is simply "Macintosh Apple 28oz".  I did not want to use the long 1D barcodes that get long and then worry about label sizes.https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Questions-How-To/What-is-the-best-barcode-label-printer-to-use-wi... 

What I am getting at is you can use the printer you have you just cannot use Square for Retail to print the actual Label with your printer.  Plus using the Printers Software you can add or delete information that you want on your label.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 11 of 67

The interwebs says there are many jewelry stores using Square POS & Square for Retail. However, I can't seem to find any solution for printing jewlery-sized barcode tags. Most jewelry stores use either barbell or rat-tail style tags. After about 3 weeks of researching, from what I can tell, there are no supported printers capable of printing these size tags ... and you cannot resize the barcode to print on a different printer or the Square scanner won't read it.

What are the "many jewelry stores" using Square doing then? Some advice would be sincerely appreciated!

Message 12 of 67
Admin

@OptionalArt I've moved your post to this thread where @Keris had a similar question. These printers listed here are the only ones that you can print bar code labels with, using Square for Retail. It sounds like these labels might not be the right size though too? 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 13 of 67

I found a way.   I’m using my old system to print the tags then importing them with an a excel spreadsheet to the square.   My barcode reader needed to be programmed but everything is working great. 

Message 14 of 67

Did you use the Zebra Zebra 2.2x0.50 (1in ID, 5in OD) Butterfly Label Product SKU: 10010064?

Please could you clairfy how you were able to print barcaodes / sku's to these using the Zebra ZD410 with Square?

Thanks so much,

Louisa

Message 15 of 67

Explain, please.

Message 16 of 67
Super Seller

Best Answer

FYI, I don't have a Zebra printer, so I've been doing everything manually regarding printing barcodes. Once I decide on a simple SKU number for that item (and I've found small SKU numbers generate barcodes that scan better with my inkjet printer), I enter the SKU on a website that generates an image file of the barcode (from onlinelabels.com). I then place that barcode on a sheet in Indesign...(I used to be a graphic designer, so I'm used to working in pagelayout programs) and add prices. I copy and repeat as many as I need and print on my inkjet printer.

FOR JEWELRY, I make a small horizontal cardstock label with my logo, and affix the barcode label to the other side. I tie it around the necklace chain or ring. 

Hope this helps. I know this is a lot of manual work, but I couldn't invest in a label printer so this is my best work around.

Message 17 of 67
Super Seller

Also just a P.S., I use the Square Register, so i'm not able to print barcodes from the register unfortunately. I think the Square POS software has that feature, but maybe the Register will allow this feature in the future. ?

Message 18 of 67
Beta Member

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: HELP with printing labels

I am looking for a way to use barcodes and price all of my jewelry... necklace, rings, etc.  I would love to use a barbell style label that wraps around the product.  Does anyone have a way they are getting this done without having the option to print onto barbell style labels?  Please let me know what you are doing.  I have been spending too much time trying to figure this out and would love the help.

Message 19 of 67
Admin

Hey @jacdzg2, some sellers have shared how they resize and print jewelry tags over in this thread: I'm trying to print jewelry tags, is there a way to edit the size? I think this will help!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 20 of 67

I'm wondering if there will be any new label sizes added in the near future, specifically a barbell size for jewelry. This is the biggest gap for us and we've gotten used to our current POS offering that option.

Message 21 of 67