x

Square Card

Why I was forced to cut up my square credit card today.

1. I can't choose to deposit to my square card a portion of my sales but I am forced to deposit 100%.
  2. I can't choose to deposit a portion of my sales to my bank account and a portion to the card. It's ALL or NOTHING.
  3. I have a brick-n-morter business that uses a checking account and has employees. I need the use of my bank account -- I have NO desire to allow Square to manage that aspect.
  4. I want to run by business the way I want it ran NOT the way square thinks I should run it.
  5. There is no basic accounting features with the square card account. 

I really liked my square card. It was a great feature to have my funds on demand and to access my spending all in one spot. BUT, it lacks basic accounting 101. There is no "deposit" record to account for the money spent. There is no check and balances to reconcile the account. It is obvious that square has disabled basic features of any account management tool so they can sells up apps for accounting 101. 
Did I mention I really hated cutting up my card today. I really liked singing it. But I can't justify ALL-OR-NOTHING mentality that goes behind every new roll-out square offers. 
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Super Seller Alumni

With all due respect, while your #1 is correct, #2 is completely wrong.  You can deposit any amount of your Square card balance to your linked bank account at any time.  Here's the relevant section from Square's Debit card site:

Transfer Funds to Your Account

Once you’ve activated your Square Card, your deposits will switch from automatic to manual. Funds you earn will accrue in your Square balance, to ensure that you always have funds to spend with your card.

You will still be able to transfer your funds from your balance to your linked bank account at any time, either Next Business Day (free) or with Instant Deposit (fee per deposit).

To transfer funds out of your Square balance to your linked bank account:

1. Open your Square app > tap Deposit to Bank.
  2. Enter the amount you’d like to transfer.
  3. Choose a deposit speed. You can use Next Business Day Deposit (free) or Instant Deposit (fee per deposit).
  4. Tap Deposit > confirm deposit.

While Square retaining all of your charged/debited sales in your Card account may seem inconvenient to you, how else would you want them to set it up: a set % of each day's sales, a set dollar figure, something else?

Judy T Shumway
Message 2 of 15

I was so excited when I got the card. I love using it. Great conversation starter and It looks professional and kinda-cool! Could not be happier -- BUT.

• Why can't I choose to deposit to my square card a portion my sales rather than 100% -- ALL or NOTHING?
  • Why can't I choose to deposit a portion of my sales to my business bank account and leave a portion to the card.  (don't tell me I can, it is not working)
  • Why can't I see the basics - Deposits -- Payments -- Costs -- Balance -- Accounting 101?

Sad day for me when I cut up my Square card this morning. I really liked it but it's all or nothing with square so I was forced to choose NOTHING!

Message 3 of 15

I couldn't be happier with the look of the card, its the practicality I can't get over. 

Sad that square will not offer this card as a separate account that we could put money into rather than forcing us to use it All or Nothing.

There is no accounting 101 associated with the card. Cant reference deposits, can't reference fees associated with the card or deposits.  Looks like another great feature that is being dummied down to force us to buy an app to make the basics work. Very sad. I truly loved the card but had to cut it up today.

Message 4 of 15
Admin

Hey @Feedback2016 I'm really sorry that the Square Card didn't work out for you and that some features weren't working as GlassDale described — I'll investigate that for you. 

I've moved some of your additional posts to this thread from the Live Q&A so we can help keep it organized. The team will answer the posts you've added in the Live Q&A tomorrow, and I'll reply here on your specific issues as soon as I can. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 5 of 15

I call that censorship and controlling the narrative of the conversation. The responses I placed on other feeds were get dialog started to "discuss" the card in a "forum" atmosphere. @Helen The card is lacking accounting 101 and there is no way you can serger-coat that. Enjoy the initial rush but this card is dead unless you provide the basics. And by "the basics" I mean a way for basic accounting not a new app that costs us more money for the basics.

Very sad... I really liked the card. And by the looks of things and the conversations I am seeing - censored and all -- I am not the only one.

Message 6 of 15

@GlassJudy With all do respect it no longer works. I had to contact square support and instant deposit a portion then square reimburse  the instant deposit amount. 

Message 7 of 15
Super Seller Alumni

Did Square indicate that they would/could fix the problem?  I know you have other issues with the card, but I can't believe they wouldn't work with you to get that part fixed.

Judy T Shumway
Message 8 of 15

@GlassJudy you are correct. The work-a-round was to instantly deposit the funds and them reimburse me for the fees associated with an instant deposit.

Message 9 of 15

So does this mean you are blocking my ability to discuss the square card with others by merging all my comments on other posts? How is this a sellers forum if we cannot discuss the card with censorship? 

Message 10 of 15
Admin

I think we posted at the exact same time! I haven't removed all of your comments from the Live Q&A they'll still be answered tomorrow. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 11 of 15

There is no way too. I had to cut up my card and insist the close it. First they told me that I had to report it lost or stolen. What a convoluted mess. My guess is, they have dummied the basic service down, so they can charge us extra money for some idiotic app that will manage the card with basic services.

It's all or nothing. You cant use the card as an additional feature. How sad, I really liked having the card. What a waste.

Message 12 of 15

There is no way too.

It's all or nothing. You cant use the card as an additional feature. I really like the card.

\My guess is, they have dummied the basic service down, so they can charge us extra money for some idiotic app that will manage the card with basic services.

I had to cut up my card and insist they close it. First they told me that I had to report it lost or stolen. Then I had to wait 24 hours to get my account back to normal.

Message 13 of 15
Square

Hi @Feedback2016 -- thanks for all your feedback, and I’m sorry that the Square Card doesn’t work with the way you want to run your business today. You are totally right -- you should run your business the way you want to run it. Our intention is always for that to be true, and we have more to build to make the Square Card work in a way that works for you.

Let me address your two main points:

• Deposits & Square Card: I understand that you want automatic deposits while also having a Square Card. That’s helpful feedback. The intention behind turning off automatic deposits for sellers who have a Square Card is for there to always be funds available in your balance to spend on a card, rather than the balance dropping to $0 each night (which is what would happen if we automatically transferred funds). We want you to be in control of your funds, which is why Square Card sellers can still transfer some or all of the Square balance into the linked bank account (it just doesn’t happen automatically). But I hear you, that this doesn’t work for how you run your business today. 
  • Accounting features: While we have basic Deposit and Card Spend CSVs that you can export, we’ve got work to do to make it better. There are three things in this vein that we’re currently working on: (1) statements, (2) a running ‘balance’ total next to each card spend transaction, and (3) an improved Quickbooks integration for sellers with Square Card. And that’s just the start. I hope we get all of this to a better place in the future so that the Square Card might be a good option for you and your business!
Message 14 of 15

@Christina I appreciate your comments, but I think you are dismissing basic features for any basic accounting system. 

In order for this to be viable option for ANY business owner is to have an accounting of where the money came from and a running total of where it is spent. Your integration to QB integration and other third party contractors is exactly what I was pointing out.

Square is not offering a NEW FEATURE. Square is trying to fool us into thinking that basic accounting is something we have to pay additional fees and services for rather than relying on square to give us basic accounting 101 and allow us to run our business the way we choose.

"Our intention is always for that to be true, and we have more to build to make the Square Card work in a way that works for you."

It should read "Our intention is to find any cleaver way we can to offer a great service then disable basic functions so our customers will be forced to pay us more money."

Sad. Just another great service that cannot be practically used without extorting more money from your customer. 

Message 15 of 15