x
Beta Member

Subscriptions and Memberships

I have tried for the past year tried to ask the square account managers and developers for a way to make it possible to utilize the gift cards and card on file for memberships that require a monthly subscription.

Currently we have different tiers of membership but our most basic is $120/month where we charge $20 maintenance fee + $100 that goes to a customer's gift card by charging their card on file. This is a 1 year contract and has it's own terms and conditions that people sign and accept.

The process to charge members every month in its current form requires me to input the gift card number manually every month when I would like to add money to a customer's account for their designated tier level. This means if I have to charge 50-100 people I currently have to manually enter for 2 hours to ensure people are good to go for the month. 

Since we can save card on file and also gift cards on file I do not understand why we cannot charge a designated amount to the gift card on file when doing a transaction?

The process goes like this I add under my items a membership fee that each member pays. Then under library I click gift card then check balance and then I have to input the gift card amount of $100.00, then add the customer to the sale, then click charge card on file x 100 times!

There needs to be a better way to do this and if you have a solution or can work with me to create one I think me and members in the community would appreciate it.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hello @TobacoLeaf 

This definitely looks like a complicated situation. Even though you have mentioned that you've worked with Account Managers I will go ahead and recommend you submit and official Feature Request here. This will help our Product Team (Project Managers and Engineers) get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

Hopefully a feature like this gets implemented soon. 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

Have you tried using the recurring payment subscriptions with a checkout link. 
I don't understand why the same can't be done directly on the online store, but it apparently only works with the checkout link and invoices. This would charge the customers card on file automatically and could reduce the amount of manual work you have to do. Although, it sounds like you'd still have to add the credit to the gift card manually.

Just trying to understand your process... It sounds like you're using the gift card to track how much credit the customer has towards purchases minus the maintenance fee. I can't think of another way with subscriptions to track this and know the customer's credit balance. 

I'm curious if there's a way to have a gift card subscription... I'd have to research that, maybe you know.

Have you considered the loyalty program? I haven't used it myself, but it seems like there'd be a way to set that up so when they pay their monthly subscription, they would earn points towards purchases for the month and that would track it for you.

Message 3 of 3