x

Text messages for Online Store order notifications

It would be best for my business to have text messages notifications for my online orders. The other soultions that were discussed in other threads will not work for me. Could you please let me know if this feature could be added?

Message 1 of 53
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hello, everyone!!

You can give your customers the option to receive text message notifications once you’ve received their order from your Square Online site, as well as once the order is ready for pickup.

To allow customers to opt in to receiving order status updates via text message, please follow the directions below:

1. Go to your Square Online Overview page > Settings > Checkout.
  2. Scroll down to Advanced settings > Edit.
  3. Check the Allow customer to receive text message alerts box.
  4. Select Save when finished.

Once the order is ready for pickup, the customer can respond with Here to the text message alert, letting you know they are present to pick up their order (instead of giving you a phone call). You will see that the customer has arrived through a notification on your POS with the order information displayed. The order can then be brought out to the customer, and be marked as completed.

To enable POS notifications to alert you a customer has arrived for their pickup order, please follow the directions below:

1. Go to your Square Online Overview page > Settings > Pickup & Delivery.
  2. Select Advanced Settings, and toggle the Enable on-POS arrival alerts setting on.
  3. Select Save when finished.
AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Tags (1)
Message 32 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

Hey @Issac!

Thanks for this feedback.

Currently that's still a feature request but we have heard this request from sellers before so thanks for surfacing it again. We will let the Product team know you're looking for text message notifications for your Online Store as well. 

Here's an insightful Community post about: Feature Requests: How They Work if you're curious too. 🙂

Ashley C
Message 2 of 53

Oh God - please do this!

Message 3 of 53

any chance that you're close to having text message notifications for on line orders?

thanks!

Message 4 of 53
Alumni

No updates to share right now, @BREWERDUDE - but a lot of change is underway with the online store at the moment! We'll absolutely be sure to update this thread if anything changes, so stay subscribed to this thread to receive a notification when we post here.

Valentina
Message 5 of 53

Will do. Thanks!

Message 6 of 53

Hi there, I see that after every purchase, customer receives a text message saying "Thank you for your purchase, your order will be ready to be picked up at 12:30PM, etc." depends on the prep time. 

IS THERE A FEATURE for us to EDIT that verbiage on the text? If we have 40 orders arrive in that 2 minutes window, we would not want that first text to say come pick up AT 12:30PM for all that many customers as I think it would be more helpful if we can EDIT our own verbiage to tell customers that "thank you for your purchase, estimated pick up time is 12:30PM, you will receive a confirmation text/email once your order is ready for pick up."  Something similar would work, as long as we have the ability to edit the language so we don't mislead customers and it will break social distance when they all show up at the same time (which happened at our store and it was quite a nightmare for our team..) 

Thank you and I really appreciate any inputs and feedback from your team. 

Message 7 of 53

@npham1110 Thank you so much for adding your voice to this feature request and for adding  detailed example of how this feature affects your business. I can see how important it would be to space your customers out. Unfortunately, we do not have the ability to edit the outbound texts for curbside pickup, but I will push this feedback to our team.

Thanks for your time and please let me know if you have any other questions. 

AshleyK
Message 8 of 53

Is there a way I can customize the SMS texts that are automated when an Order is ready? 

Message 9 of 53

Hey @mkjhbb,

I moved your post to an existing thread where other sellers asked the same question.

It looks like at the time this is being tracked as a feature request so I'll add your voice to it. 

Ashley C
Message 10 of 53

Hi, 

I would really like to be able to customize the SMS message that gets sent to customers after booking. Is this possible yet?

Message 11 of 53

Hi there, @Mira0318 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! We are happy to have you join us here. We hope this space proves to be a valuable resource as you grow your business with Square. Welcome! 

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also inquiring about customizing SMS messages. Take a look at this Best Answer from Ashley! It will point you in the right direction and provide more details.

Let me know if you have any clarifying questions! We are here to help. 

Joe
Message 12 of 53

How do I initiate SMS texts when an Order is ready?

Message 13 of 53

Hey @FayesDiner and welcome to the Community.

Check out this Support Center article that goes over managing your online orders.

The order will have to be marked as Complete as mentioned in this article and then the text will automatically send. 

Ashley C
Message 14 of 53
Beta Member

I've built this into Notify Customers - https://squareup.com/us/en/app-marketplace/app/notify-customers

Message 15 of 53

Thanks for sharing @joshlsullivan

Message 16 of 53

Just set up my online shop and had my first purchase. Was totally surprised that I was unable to receive a notification on my phone that I had a sale.  This is a necessity!  Hope you have this soon.

Message 17 of 53

Hey @jeansclaystudio,

You can get push notifications to your phone for new orders with the Weebly app. 

Ashley C
Message 18 of 53

Thanks ashc, but  unfortunately, I cannot. I was told with my older version of Weebly that I needed to change my weebly account email so it was different from my Square account email in order to set up a Square shop.  Now that I did that, the two do not communicate since my weebly  website sends shoppers to a different URL for the store through Square. Quite the cunundrum, I just assumed I would be able to get notifications directly from Square.

Message 19 of 53

Hi, I am having the same problem but my square and weebly emails are identical.  Should I keep it that way?  It sounds like your probably started because you made them different?

Message 20 of 53

I wouldn't change your email unless you have a bigger problem. I had to change mine in order to set up a Square store and I couldn't use the same email because I have the older version of Weebly for my website 😞 

I have to use two different browsers to log into my weebly and square accounts separately if I want to make changes to my website or my store.  A real pain. The solution is to create an entire new website with Square but I do not have the time to do that right now.

Message 21 of 53