x

Text messages for Online Store order notifications

It would be best for my business to have text messages notifications for my online orders. The other soultions that were discussed in other threads will not work for me. Could you please let me know if this feature could be added?

Message 1 of 53
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hello, everyone!!

You can give your customers the option to receive text message notifications once you’ve received their order from your Square Online site, as well as once the order is ready for pickup.

To allow customers to opt in to receiving order status updates via text message, please follow the directions below:

1. Go to your Square Online Overview page > Settings > Checkout.
  2. Scroll down to Advanced settings > Edit.
  3. Check the Allow customer to receive text message alerts box.
  4. Select Save when finished.

Once the order is ready for pickup, the customer can respond with Here to the text message alert, letting you know they are present to pick up their order (instead of giving you a phone call). You will see that the customer has arrived through a notification on your POS with the order information displayed. The order can then be brought out to the customer, and be marked as completed.

To enable POS notifications to alert you a customer has arrived for their pickup order, please follow the directions below:

1. Go to your Square Online Overview page > Settings > Pickup & Delivery.
  2. Select Advanced Settings, and toggle the Enable on-POS arrival alerts setting on.
  3. Select Save when finished.
AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Tags (1)
Message 32 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

At this time customizing the text message sent is considered a feature request. I recommend you submit a request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Message 43 of 53
Super Seller

There's been SMS notifications on the feature request list forever - but is there an alternative? 

Having tested out NFC & stuff I notice you can write code to send an SMS with a profiled number & text. 

Could we have a button in the orders screen on the app that uses code to then open the messages app with the number & message pre-filled? 

So for me, in the app I'd tap the button & it would open the messages app with the custom number in & a simple "Your 400º Pizza order is ready at the hatch!

Pizza Is Chill

Message 44 of 53

Hi @Sam_400º - Thanks for reaching out!

I merged your post with an existing thread that contains the best answer to your question, from AshleyK, and explains how to allow your customers to opt-in to Online Order text notifications.

If you are looking for something more specific, beyond our current setup, this will be a feature request. If so, I can tag this so our Product Team will have eyes on your request.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let us know if you have any additional questions. Always happy to help! 😊

Violet
Message 45 of 53
Beta Member

Hi there, I have that solution on the marketplace - https://squareup.com/us/en/app-marketplace/app/notify-customers

Message 46 of 53
Super Seller

This doesn’t work in any of the apps. Only if you are in the online dashboard. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 47 of 53
Beta Member

I'm working on automating the KDS system with Texting. I have merchant's testing it now. 

Message 48 of 53

Like the title says, I’m trying to figure out how to notify a customer that their order is ready for pickup (not curbside) via text message. As of now the mobile ordering site sends an initial text that the order is being prepared, but there’s no option to send a second text saying it is ready after marking the order as ready on the POS app. Any help is appreciated.

Message 49 of 53

Hi there @markRefill

We have moved this post over to a board that may provide more information regarding text notifications. 

Ellie
Message 50 of 53
Beta Member

My app, Notify Customers, handles this. It's in the app marketplace. 

Message 51 of 53
Beta Member

Hello everyone,

I too have the need to be notified by text when I have an order online come in.  Having worked in the IT field we used to send text messages to phones from our app all the time.  I have implemented this on my Square online site.  You may give it a try.

1. Send a text to your email from your phone.

2. When the email comes in it will have your phones full number with the @And carrier extension.

3. Add this to the Notifications section of your Square online.

4. You can enter up to 3 addresses separated by commas.  You can also test this by sending an email to your phones address.

Hope this helps.  It works for me.

Mary Beth

Message 52 of 53
Beta Member

Notify Customers has this functionality built in, including a KDS.

Message 53 of 53