x

Volume discount for so many pounds sold?

I sell grain in bulk, mostly by the pound, eg $2/pound. Often customers also buy an entire 55 pound bag, but at a lower cost than breaking the bag. Can Square automatically understand that 54 pounds sells at eg $2/pound, but when it hits 55 pounds it changes the price point to eg $1.5/pound? Counting grains for inventory is why I bring this up. Inventory subtracts from my total when I sell per pound, but entire bags are set up as a variation, and Square doesn't know to subtract that 55 lbs from the main variation of the item. Any help on this? also please move thread if in the wrong forum. Thanks.

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Beta Member

Best Answer

Sadly, volume discounts have been requested by sellers for years, and they’ve largely ignored the request. We’ve been asking for variable pricing and multiple item discounts for some time. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Beta Member

Best Answer

Sadly, volume discounts have been requested by sellers for years, and they’ve largely ignored the request. We’ve been asking for variable pricing and multiple item discounts for some time. 

Message 2 of 10
Admin

@straycatbrew

Definitely not being ignored here- we've had Automatic Volume Discounts in our Beta group for a while now, and although it's not released for General Audience yet, we do hope to release it soon.

We'll keep you updated as new products and features are released here on the Community.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 3 of 10
Beta Member

@kellyj as a member of the live beta community, I'm awaiting it desperately.  The workarounds are counter-intuitive to the employees and cause a lot of mistakes, but again, I've seen threads asking for this over 3 years now, so I suspect they're not working very hard on it in that beta.  

Message 4 of 10

any timeline on this? The workaround is I have about 20 discounts set up to adjust the prices, which is cumbersome to look at.

Message 5 of 10

update on this, looking through discounts I was able to get an automatic discount applied.

Items -> Discounts -> Create a Discount, and then choose auto apply. I sell 55 lbs bags so I set it to quantity and 55, chose the items I wanted, selected Minimum Purchase Quantity. 

However, this does not seem to work when choosing dollar amount, as opposed to Discount %. 

I chose Discount 33.33% and it is about to subtract $27.5 from the sale, however when I choose dollar amount as $27.5 in the discount, it subtracts the entire amount of the sale instead of $27.50, any help with that?

Message 6 of 10
Admin

Hey @Brewstock.

Thanks for following up on this.

Right now we do not have the ability for our sellers to apply manual dollar discounts to an individual item. 

For commonly used dollar discounts, consider creating an automatic dollar discount or separate price points. If you'd like more input on this, I would suggest contacting our Support Team here

Thanks again for posting! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 7 of 10

It's been 2.5 years. Has there been any update on the availability of volume discounts. It still appears to be unresolved and the discount workaround is rather cumbersome.

Message 8 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi @wildeye,

I understand your frustration! Unfortunately, I don't have an update to share here yet, but I'll continue to highlight the need for this feature with our team. 

Message 9 of 10
Super Seller

@wildeye ;

Did you try the Sell By Units in Square or Stock Conversion Sell By Units?

I use this for pulling from one inventory of candles.  

For Example I order 25 cases of a candle 3600 candles total

1 Case is 144 candles

1 Pack is 12 candles

or I can Sell a Single Candle

A single candle costs more per candle than buying 12, and 12 costs more than buying 1 case.

I believe you can change the measurement from Each Item or Unit to other forms of measurement like oz or fl oz etc.

Here is a link to more information on this:

7237-stock-conversion-sell-by 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 10 of 10