x

why the checkout API charge credit card without billing address?

I am trying to develop an online check out procedure using square SDK API following the instruction and example in "Checkout API Setup Guide", and the test is fine, i.e., I can charge a credit card and see the transaction on my account. But the question is that the checkout page on square website didn't ask for billing address. It only asked for card holder name, card number, cvv, expiration date email, postal Code, and the transaction is succeed. Why? Is billing address not needed here for online credit card charge?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Admin

Welcome to the Seller Community, @Joe_Z.

Great question! That's correct—in order to complete a payment, you do not need the full address information. Information required to check out:

• Complete card number
  • Expiration date
  • Security code/CVV
  • Billing ZIP code

Out of curiosity, did you have any other questions or concerns about not entering in the entire billing address? I'll be happy to surface your post with our API Team for a closer look.

In addition, feel free to check out Square Connect's Stack Overflow page. It's been a great resource for our developer community, and there's already a ton of questions that have been answered there.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 3

My client really is upset. We have actually lost orders because customers were not able to input the billing address for their credit cards. I researched your site and found this:

"Double Check the Billing Address with the Shipping Address

If the addresses are not near each other or are in a different state or country, it may be an indication that your customer is not the cardholder."

Why is the billing address no longer appearing at checkout?

Message 3 of 3