x

Change amount of delayed payment

I am making a delayed capture, but I want to be able to change the amount when I call the CaptureTransaction method. Since the charging of the card can happen more than a day later, it won't help to save the nonce to create a new Charge.

My scenario is I'm taking the payment information from my customers upfront for a larger amount before they start shopping, and then once they are done, I want to capture the transaction but only with the amount the customer has actually spent.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hi there. 

This is an interesting post. 

There isn't a way to pre-authorize a card with Square or edit the amount you've charged the customer once the payment has been completed. 

What you can do is use the Open Tickets feature as a work-around. 

You can use Open Tickets to create, save, and edit orders before closing a sale.

To enable Open Tickets:

1. From the Square app, tap the three horizontal lines on the navigation bar.
  2. Tap Settings > Open Tickets.
  3. Toggle Open Tickets to on.

Check out the Support Center article for more details: Use Open Tickets with Square

Message 2 of 3

Hi @EJ, thank you for your reply.

However, I am tryign to do this using the Square API. I am also using PayPal, and they have a way of passing in the amount when you are charging an authorized payment.

I thought of one workaround, where I could save the users credit card information in a Customer Card, create a delayed payment, and then when the user is ready to pay, void the initial delayed payment, and then using the saved card, charge it with the actual amount. Is this feasible?

How fast does a void of a deayed payment take to clear off the users credit card?

Message 3 of 3