x

What are the minimum and maximum limits for payments?

There is no information about the mimimum and maximum limitations of the «amount_money» parameter values for the «Charge» transaction in the documenation: https://docs.connect.squareup.com/api/connect/v2/#endpoint-charge

But a customer of my Magento 2 extension have reported me that the payments lower than $1 for USD fail with a message.

So what are the actual payment limits?

Message 1 of 38
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Does Square allow merchants to set minimum purchase requirements for debit card transactions?

It's not possible to actually set a minimum credit card charge amount other than the minimum amount of $1 when using your Square Point of Sale app. As @kellyj stated here, "You would have to enforce your own minimum for transactions..."

However, you can set a minimum order amount when using a Square Online website to accept pickup and delivery orders.

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Charges are always made in the currency of where the account was created. US - USD, CA - CAD.

The limit for a US account is $50,000 USD, the limit for a CA account is $50,000 CAD.

Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Super Seller

"Online Store Payment FAQs

What are the limits (minimum and maximum) customers can donate?

The minimum payment amount is $1 and the maximum is $1000.

Is there a maximum sale amount with the Online Store?

Yes, Square merchants start off with a per-transaction limit of $50,000."

from https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5614-the-online-store-frequently-asked-questions

It would be logical for the API to adhere to the same restrictions as the Square online store.

Message 2 of 38
Square

@Mage2PRO - Would you mind confirming what you mean by donation? Are you setting up a donation portal? Did you just mean payment limit with the API?

Sean
he/him/his
Message 3 of 38

I just mean payment limits with the API for each supported currency (USD, CAD).
It is really 1? Where is it documented exactly?

Message 4 of 38
Square

@Mage2PRO - Limits are the same across the board, regardless if someone is using the API. I'll reach out to our Developer Team to make sure this is crystal clear in the documentation. Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 5 of 38

Whether «the same» means 1.31 CAD (~ 1 USD) or 1 CAD?

Message 6 of 38
Square

Best Answer

Charges are always made in the currency of where the account was created. US - USD, CA - CAD.

The limit for a US account is $50,000 USD, the limit for a CA account is $50,000 CAD.

Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 7 of 38

Trying to run a card for $10,930  Its telling me this type of card is not allowed.  But its a US Bank issued and ive used it past for smaller amounts

Message 8 of 38
Admin

Hey @thomasonphx, thanks for flagging this and sorry to hear about the trouble with this payment. 🤔

Are you receiving a general decline notification as you try to process this payment? If so, it's usually best to have your customer contact their bank directly for more details, as the reason for a declined card isn't provided to us. That being said, if you'd like to have a team member take a deeper dive into the specific payment attempt, please send a quick note to our Support Team — they'll get back to you with any other available details ASAP.

Hope this helps get you in the right direction. Please let us know if you have any further questions!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 9 of 38

How do I change the minimum for credit card purchase to 5  dollars?

Message 10 of 38
Super Seller

there isn't a way to set a minimum credit card charge, the $1 is a minimum Square has overall for processing.

Message 11 of 38
Beta Member

If you're losing money from the $1 minimum, is there a possible way to change the minimum to $5 at all?

Message 12 of 38
Admin

@jcaudle

You would have to enforce your own minimum for transactions under $5.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 13 of 38
Beta Member

so there is no way to have square register set up so I can change my cc minimum.....so no matter who is ringing the customer up, if the sale was less than 5.00, it would not run it through.........??????that was the question....thanks

Message 14 of 38
Admin

Correct @jcaudle, there isn't a way to change the minimum amount for card payments from $1 to $5. If this change in future we'll certainly announce it and we'll update this thread to let you know.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 15 of 38

We also think this feature would be good. Hard to believe something small like that couldn’t be changed easily. Sellers should be able to change minimum credit card purchase amount in settings. Please make this available to us. Would’ve helped yesterday during the Square outage that didn’t allow credit cards to process normally causing customer dissatisfaction.

Message 16 of 38
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Nolan7 - thanks for reaching out here and adding your voice in support of this feature. We will continue to push out news and relevant updates surrounding this Feature Request as we have them. Should anything new come down the pipeline, we will bounce back here and let everyone know.

Cheers!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 17 of 38

We would love to be able to set a minimum credit card purchase by location.  We have concession stands that are run completely by volunteers, so register training is hard to enforce when it's a different volunteer every day.  Our pricing is different at some of our locations so setting the minimum by location would be ideal.

Message 18 of 38
Beta Member

There needs to be a minimum purchase enabler for the register. if some one spends less than $10. 

Seems pretty easy for Square to set that up. 

already have it at $1.

Message 19 of 38
Beta Member

This feature needs to be added. I have it set up online but NEED it for in store purchases. We have temp help and fill ins that OFTEN forget my local rule. Seems it should be an easy option to add in!

Message 20 of 38

Somehow, Square is allowing people to charge less than a 1.00 of sales at our snack bar, and I cannot seem to change it.  In the past, square would not allow it.

Message 21 of 38