x

Is there a way to not use a printer?

Could there be a way to not use receipt printers and just have a notepad with a different barcode and transaction ID number on each page to scan in and then hand to a customer to give them access to the receipt online?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

I can't say I've ever seen what you've suggested anywhere. Receipts can be sent via text or email, but that's the only way to generate one that isn't printed. Can you allow your customers to enter their own email addresses? That would make it easier for you. Suggesting a texted receipt is generally a lot faster than email as a text number is only 10 digits vs some really long possible email addresses.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

And without asking for email addresses, cuz that's a pain

Message 2 of 6
Super Seller

Best Answer

I can't say I've ever seen what you've suggested anywhere. Receipts can be sent via text or email, but that's the only way to generate one that isn't printed. Can you allow your customers to enter their own email addresses? That would make it easier for you. Suggesting a texted receipt is generally a lot faster than email as a text number is only 10 digits vs some really long possible email addresses.

Message 3 of 6

I'm looking to see if they have a way it could be done, hopefully, without printers or asking for a phone number or email address to save time. I think it would be faster to have receipts printed already and then scanned in and ready to go and not deal with the printer cost and connectivity issues or having to replace the printer paper etc. or having to ask for personal customer contact info that they would rather not provide. 

Message 4 of 6
Square

Thanks for help with this one, @VanKalkerFarms

Hi @Emulc, and welcome to the Seller Community. This is a very interesting feature request. I've never heard of this setup before, but I totally understand your point. As VanKalkerFarm's mentioned, this isn't a functionality we support with our system. You would need to take the email or text receipt route if you didn't want to use a printer. Having said that, please keep in mind that if you have any regulars, they only have to enter their contact information once. Going forward, we'll automatically deliver their receipt to going forward. Also, if they've shopped at another Square seller and shared these details, we'll even automatically send their receipt, as well.

Hope this helps, and I'll be sure to pass your suggestion along to our product liaison team! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 5 of 6

That would be great! I've ran into customers (mostly the elderly) without emails and texting capabilities, so for them the only option (as of now) is to print a receipt for them. But I've looked into laws regarding providing receipts, and they seem to say you just have to provide access to a receipt in a reasonable time. What I mentioned earlier would do just that and I wouldn't have to have a printer just for those odd few. Feel free to have your team contact me for more details on how it could be done!

Message 6 of 6