x

New Modifier Settings and Customization

Square offers us modifiers so we can add different and unique changes to an item - GREAT. Love this feature you build the item as a package.  Its a great add to the programing - wonderful value.

Scenario: 

ABC Item #1 includes the following: Color Blue, Trim Grey, Engraving YES (modifier set is preselected for these items)

ABC Item #2 includes the following: Color Red, Trim Orange, Engraving NO (modifier set is preselected for these items)

ABC Item #3 Your choice of the following: Color Red or Blue? Trim Grey or Orange? Engraving Yes or No?  (modifier set by customer)

ABC Item 1 and 2 are NON-NEGOTIABLE hence the modifier.  

ABC Item #3 is the customers choice hence the modifier.

Set-up for the Brick-N-Mortar:

1. Basic Item 1.00 
  2. Modified item #1 25¢
  3. Modified item #2 15¢
  4. Modified item #3 10¢ 
  5. Total Cost $1.50

Set-up for same item online:

1. Basic item 1.50 (price include $1.00 for Basic item, .25¢ for modified item #1, .15¢ for modified item #2, and .10¢ for modified item #3)
  2. No modifiers allowed unless the client can have full control of which modifiers apply.  You are now forced to add the ridiculous run-on sentence to your basic item description.
  3. Total Cost $1.50

Good luck tracking how many basic items are sold and when to re-order modified items #1, #2 and #3 your screwed unless you pay more money for a Square modifier to grant access to basic modifier service.

WTF? How stupid do you think we are?  You want us to to purchase a add-on program to get basic service? If we don't pay the Square extortion then we have to make a separate "online" item EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE THE SAME.  And here is the over-the-top kicker!  Square is now charging us MORE MONEY TO DO MORE WORK FOR THE SAME SERVICE. Why are we putting up with this?

WHY AM I PUTTING UP WITH THIS? Am I the only person here who feels this way?  This is un-exceptable.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square

Hi @Feedback2016. 👋  Thanks for taking the time to share. Totally understand your frustration. There are definitely some features, including this one, that would enrich the online store experience. While we don't want sellers to feel like they have to take advantage of a 3rd party option, some of our eCommerce partners have excellent feature options that we don't have. Depending on the seller, it may be worth it to your business, or may not be.

In the meantime, I'm more than happy to pass along your feedback to our product liaison team.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 3

@Sean Sean, thank you for responding.  You are very much correct.  There are definitely some features, including this one, that would enrich the online store experience.  However, when basic features to the quare program are purposefully disabled - leaving the user with no-choice, but to pay a third party to make it work.  I draw the line.  It is unethical to disable the programs basic functions so we are forced to pay more money.

Message 3 of 3